Poll

Having read the determination based on the advice of Sir Ken Knight, and taking into account the circumstances of that case, was Sir Ken right to advise that the heat detectors satisfied the FSO.

Yes. Sir Ken was very wise.
No, Sir Ken was wrong.
I really don't care
I do not trust the determination process in any case

Author Topic: Sir Ken Knight considers that heat detectors in bedroom of a hotel meet the FSO  (Read 42287 times)

Offline Nearlybaldandgrey

Mr Todd, the issue of heat or smoke detectors in sleeping rooms wil always be a contentious one, but you seem to have a problem with a Fire Authority daring to challenge it. I can almost hear you shouting 'How very dare they?'  I also understand that the issue should not have gone to determination in the first place, but resolved through other means.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm sure you will at the earliest opportunity, but surely a smoke detector provides earlier warning of fire than heat, especially the newer modern ones?

I still struggle to understand how a heat detector in a sleeping room ultimately contributes to safeguarding the safety of relevant persons, such as the occupants. What happens in the case of a smouldering fire - the alarm is raised when smoke enters the escape routes, possibly by which time the occupant is overcome.

I do wonder how, in the big corporate world, a large hotel chain could possibly be prepared to find themselves in a position where a fire occurs in a room which resuts in a fatality and they have an alarm system which may, had certain components been changed, have resulted in a different outcome.

I'm sure you'll agree that it would be an interesting case?

Until then, there will continue to be the difference of opinion between Fire Authorities and RP's.

Offline William 29

• http://www.tfsltd.net
Colin, it is interesting though the number of persons who have indicated on the poll that Sir ken was wrong!  I wonder how many are serving fire safety officers or consultants?   :'(

Offline Wiz

..........I still struggle to understand how a heat detector in a sleeping room ultimately contributes to safeguarding the safety of relevant persons, such as the occupants. What happens in the case of a smouldering fire - the alarm is raised when smoke enters the escape routes, possibly by which time the occupant is overcome...........

Is it important to safeguard the safety of persons in every conceivable context no matter the cost?

I sell the equipment, so as far as I'm concerned detectors in the room, under the bed,  and even under the duvet will only mean more money for me! But I wouldn't be so happy if I owned a large hotel and had the initial cost and on-going maintenance costs of a 500 device fire alarm system. Obviously, if more people were dying in hotel bedroom fires than in road traffic accidents each year then I might feel differently
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 02:58:47 PM by Wiz »

Offline jokar

One of the issues here is that alluded to by Wiz, in that it is not just a simple swap the head over and job done.  Sometimes it may well mean revisiting the whole system and the cost of that can be anything.  The simple fact is HD work and ALARP applies to the FSO.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
Baldy, It is interesting that you have appointed yourself to speak for the UK fire and rescue service, but luckily it is not an official appointment. There are many F&RS, including the greatest in the whole of London, who have no contention with RPs over this matter and are happy with HD in bedrooms. It also satisfies ADB, so a section of CLG must also be happy.

You only struggle to understand this (as you put it) because of inadequate education in fire safety, in the sense that clearly no one has sat down and explained to you the extensive Government sponsored research on this subject over a period of years, culminating in findings that were perfectly well disseminated at the time and led to a national committee of experts deciding that either heat detectors or smoke detectors could be used, and the HM Fire Service Inspectorate actually recommending that smoke detectors were NOT used, but that the preferred choice was heat detectors. This was in the interests of fire safety by avoiding complacency and the risks arising therefrom, from measures to protect people who never die anyway.

Now of course this was when there was an HMFSI, which was populated by a decent bunch of fire brigadey type people who knew what they were doing and had substantial expertise in fire safety. (I was chatting a few weeks ago to one they pensioned off. He was fishing at the time. I think there was room on the river bank for some of the incumbents at CLG. Perhaps some of them could do the tax payer a favour and join him. )

In recognition that you are not a bad man, Baldy, just let down by fire safety education, it is with great pleasure that I offer you a copy of my book on BS 5839-1, which explains all this in much greater detail than is possible here, at half price if you buy it with your own dosh, or at double the list price if you wish your F&RS to pay for it.

Informative message ends. Available for further fire calls.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 10:15:05 PM by colin todd »
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline colin todd

Willie, As a believer in equality and diversity, I never discriminate against minorities on the basis of race, colour, religion, sexuality, height, weight, hair colour or even membership of the fire and rescue service. Thus, although your question is interesting, it is not politically correct!!!

Offline colin todd

Wizzy, your point is well made about people dying. Can any of the dissenters tell me how many lives of people would have been saved if every hotel in the UK that has heat detection had changed to smoke detection during the last 5 years for which official statistics are available??????????????????????????

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Colin is ther a money back guarantee of satisfaction if I shell out my hard earned cash on your wee book? Would I find the answers I seek?

You see I fear I would not and would probably read a lot about pyrolisis of timber door frames etc and cool non bouyant smoke in the escape routes but little about whats going on in the room itself. As I am an acknowledged admirer of all things Scottish you will appreciate my care in choosing my purchases very carefully.

Offline colin todd

Kurnal, You would learn how to spell the word pyrolisis (sic). Surely this alone would make the purchase worthwhile.

Offline Davo

Gents

Lets face it, we all know of hotels with no detection, no staff after midnight etc etc.

davo

Offline Nearlybaldandgrey

Baldy, It is interesting that you have appointed yourself to speak for the UK fire and rescue service

Not at all Mr Todd, just speaking for myself and merely an observation, not a criticism.

In recognition that you are not a bad man, Baldy, just let down by fire safety education, it is with great pleasure that I offer you a copy of my book on BS 5839-1, which explains all this in much greater detail than is possible here, at half price if you buy it with your own dosh, or at double the list price if you wish your F&RS to pay for it.

Thankyou for your kind offer, but I do have a copy. Clearly I need to revisit and re-educate myself on the relevant sections. I shall remove it from the loft and dust it down.  ;D

Offline CivvyFSO

Kurnal, You would learn how to spell the word pyrolisis (sic). Surely this alone would make the purchase worthwhile.

Maybe if you were such an authority on spelling then you would have corrected the spelling of 'buoyancy' too?

On this subject, many FRS' would probably like to get SD in hotel bedrooms, the simple fact is that most of us know better than to challenge accepted guidance/standards. In the blame game, should someone die in a hotel room where SD might have meant they lived, the FRS has a clean conscience. Even moreso since a FRS has tried.

All the guff about false alarms etc.... So long as the alarms don't make it far enough to mobilise an appliance the the FRS won't care. If people ignore the fire alarm, then what is new there? The person most at risk from a fire in a hotel bedroom is the person in the room of origin. SD gives them earlier warning, so it increases their chance of survival. Everyone else is protected by passive measures AND an alarm going off that people can react to as they see fit.

However, it will only take the one fire where some family is killed and the media get wind of a British Standard that pretty much says that you are expendable when you stop in a hotel. In the case of the Daily Star vs. Colin Todd who would your money be on?

Offline William 29

• http://www.tfsltd.net
My money is on Colin Todd I think......................I thought we had put this one to bed on here before but for the record and for those who have not read this by the great Mr Todd and no we are not related nor is he paying me (he couldn't afford it!) here it is.........In the case in question my personal view is the determination was correct, very poor argument by the FRS.  Having said that each hotel has to be taken on merit with all factors taken in to account, the clue is in the wording fire RISK assessment.  

Now can we move on?????

"The early days of the FP Act and research carried out on behalf of the Home Office in the mid 1980s. When the FP Act was first introduced the chance that you would die from fire if you spent one night in a hotel was approx 10 times that if you spent one night at home. The Act, the designation order and the early guidance was not intended to protect the individual in the room of origin, but only to protect the means of escape for others. ( Thus the person could kill himself if he wanted, same as at home, but not kill anyone else.) Early guidance from the Home Office was that you did not need ANY AFD for this purpose, but all you needed was a break glass manual system. This alone was very effective in reducing fire deaths dramatically-see 1970s fire stats and you will note a step change in fatalities. In practice, as time progressed, people were using AFD in hotels, BUT (and this is really important, Messey) the goal had not changed-the objective was still as set out above. To meet '' the objective'', AFD was put in the corridors only. ( There are still hotels with only the manual systems or only the AFD in corrdiors even today). It was assumed that the AFD in the corridors would operate early enough to allow those beyond the room of origin to escape. Then, around the mid 1980s, the Home Offcie began to ask the question as to whether everyone was sure that the above practice did indeed meet the objective. Specifically, they wanted to know whether the detectors in the corridors would operate early enough to allow escape of those beyond the room of origin before the corridor was smoke logged.
So FRS were contracted to carry out very elegant research work, using a full scale mock up of a corridor with rooms of at Cardington. They set fires in a room and observed conditions in the corridor, with detectors 15m apart. In general, they found the set up was often ok and people were given early enough warning. However, under certain circumstances, which included no intumescent strips on the doors but just old BS 459-3 doors (which are not used now anyway!!!) they could smoke log the corridor before an alarm was given. Further research showed that this depended on the size of the gap around the door. Sods law was that a 3mm gap was worst case, and further work showed that the problem was caused not so much by the hot buoyant gases from the fire but from the pyrolisis of the timber at the head of the door, which resulted in relatively cool, heavy tarry smoke entering the corridor and not having enough bouancy to operate detectors 15m apart.
In truth, this was all very interesting but there was no anecdotal evidence whatsoever of this causing fatalities in hotels, and in any case bedroom doors all have intumescent strips. So, many took the view that it was all very interesting, but so what (including an ex senior fire safety man from your brigade).
There were, however, 3 options in dealing with the theoretical problem. One was to rely on the intumescent strips. (Counter argument was that they might not be fitted.) Two was to ensure that a detector was always fitted in the corridor close to the bedroom door, as the problem only arose in a lengthy corridor with the detectors 15m apart. (Counter argument, makes for an awful lot of detectors in corridors, so might as well go for third option.) Third option was to put detectors in rooms. BIG POINT HERE: These detectors were NEVER intended to protect the person in the room of origin but to protect everyone else to a much better standard.
Ultimately, it was the 3rd option that was selected. WHY? Because the research showed that even a heat detector in the room would buy about 9 minutes (in the particular research set up) over and above smokes in the corridor alone.
It was purely this work that led to the invention of the Cat L3 system. It does not protect the individual in the room but ensures warning before the common escape routes are threatened. Thus BS 5839-1 was revised to say (as it still does today), these detectors can be of any type, heat, smoke or CO. Moreover, since the only objective is to warn others before a whacking great fire occurs in the room to the extent that a 30 min FR door is burning away, the detectors can even just be heat detectors on the wall near the door.
Home Office policy was to agree that any detector will do the job , but heat should be chosen because of the need for false alarms (except for disabled rooms and dormitories).This was perfectly logical advice that really still stands today.
Problem was that a lot of fire authorities (including yours) got the entirely wrong end of the stick and though that this new call for detectors in bedrooms was because the objective had changed and we were now protecting the individual in the room of origin. This was not correct and it was some years before the penny dropped and, in the case of your brigade, a chap (who is now a very well respected consultant but was in your fire safety policy group at the time) issued a guidance note telling the I/Os to stop demanding smoke detectors in bedrooms.
To this day, it remains a mess, Messy, in the sense that a lot of this was lost on new I/Os throughout the country. Many still think the detectors are to protect the occupant. Some accept heat without question. Some accept heat and recommend smoke. Some demand smoke because they don’t understand the background.
What about the poor guy in the room of origin? The record shows he doesn’t die anyway. In a study carried out in fires over a 5 year period prior to introducing detectors in bedrooms, not a single soul died from fire in any star rated hotel in the UK. Those who died in non-star rated accommodation were mostly in hostel-like properties, and those who died in the room of origin were committing suicide or were out of it on drugs or alcohol in the main.
So those who do require s/d in bedrooms are trying to save the lives of those who never die anyway---to the detriment of the safety of others, which is compromised by the tendency to ignore alarms because of the rate of false alarms, to introduce staff alarms to delay signals from s/d (so might as well have hd) etc etc.
Ignore hype from people about sophisticated systems ignoring phenomena that cause false alarms, as, in the case of the average system, it is bunkum. In a recently opened hotel, there were 50 false alarms in the first week as a result of steam from en suite showers and kettles."
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:42:57 AM by William 29 »

Offline honest civil servant

Colin,

Demontim is to be congratulated for making public the improper, behind-closed doors dealings of the DCLG. I think what he is trying to tell us is this: the DCLG were backed into a corner to  agree the determination because of guidance and a national standard. Demontim has now revealed that because this did not suit their mates in certain FRSs, to whom DCLG are obviously too close, they are now trying behind the scenes to have the guidance changed so that their determination would be wrong in future cases. Were it not for Demontim acting as a whistleblower to tell the public about this scandalous behaviour none of us - not even you - would be any the WISEr. Demontim has revealed what many suspected - the determination process is not fair and open. Even if you win a determination there will be post determination shenanigans to get the determination reversed. It just shows that people are better to stick to the courts as DCLG are obviously not impartial.

Midland Retty

We would all agree that since the extensive research, sponsored by HMG, was undertaken on the HD vs SD issue, the world has changed. We now have a smoking ban, technology has advanced and of course we generally have greater knowledge about fire behaviour. So clearly we would not accept heat detection in bedrooms of new-build hotels.

But conversely in most existing hotels it would be overburdensome to ask the hotel to change every heat detector to a smoke detector or multi sensor head, as Wiz points out.

We know that a smoke detector is quicker to react than a heat detector, but as Colin has already said, back in the days when smoking was permitted in bedrooms, if smoke detection were fitted there would be continual false alarm issues, leading to complacency amongst staff and guests a like. That in itself can pose a greater risk.

In new builds we would expect to see SD in hotel bedrooms, existing hotels with HD would be asked to consider changing to SD or MSD during any planned major refurbishments if practicable.

If you still don't buy the argument then here is something to consider: Asking for all exisiting HD to be changed for SD would be a bit like asking for all cars over 10 years old to be modified so that they meet current crash safety standards. It might make the cars safer...but is it reasonable?

Remember ALARP  - isn't it the corner stone of risk assessment?