Author Topic: Acetylene cylinders  (Read 4853 times)

Offline BLEVE

Acetylene cylinders
« on: October 20, 2010, 08:24:47 PM »
Just finished carrying out a number of loss prevention audits across a couple of european sites over the past few weeks. It surprises me how many sites continue to store/use acetylene for brazing/heating bearings etc.

Applying the hierarchy of risk control, many activities could be carried out using less hazardous substances i.e MAPP or Propane.

The business interuption in the event of exothermic reaction is all to frequently overlooked or just not realised. 

Offline nearlythere

Re: Acetylene cylinders
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 07:01:54 AM »
Just finished carrying out a number of loss prevention audits across a couple of european sites over the past few weeks. It surprises me how many sites continue to store/use acetylene for brazing/heating bearings etc.

Applying the hierarchy of risk control, many activities could be carried out using less hazardous substances i.e MAPP or Propane.

The business interuption in the event of exothermic reaction is all to frequently overlooked or just not realised. 
Apparently there are many everyday welding & cutting processes where MAPP or Propane are not as suitable as acetylene.
Where acetylene is a must I recommend cylinders are securely stored in an unexposed external location and the gases piped in. Most disruption is caused by cylinders stored inside being exposed to fire.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.