Author Topic: Aid trip to Moldova  (Read 41997 times)

Offline GB

Aid trip to Moldova
« on: January 11, 2011, 02:21:41 PM »
I am an ex SO with a local FA and for the past 4 years have been heading a project which donates fire engines and ambulances to Eastern European countrties. (http://www.justgiving.com/fire-engines)

We are planning to donate 4 fire engines and 2 ambulances to Moldova, leaving Edinburgh on 28th April 2011. Due to the current economic climate, fund raising is extremely difficult as you can imagine and we are trying to obtain as much surplus equipment as possible through donation rather than purchasing (with money we don't have!).

I know its a big ask at this time but we are desperate for the following equipment:
Lukas cutters & spreaders
13.5 & 10.5m Ladders
Fireground Comms sets (we can pay to have these recalibrated)
DSU's or DSX's
5X Foam making branches and pick up tubes
1 fire engine & 1 paramedic style ambulance (we do have some funds to purchase suitable vehicles but are restricted to 2.5K each)
Full oxygen cylinders
Trauma Kit
Hard suction hose

Any thing else you can assist with would be appreciated.

to the adminstrator - apologies if I have broken any rules and fully understand if this post is removed.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 01:40:33 PM by GB »

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Re: Aid trip to Moldova
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 07:38:03 PM »
No rules broken and we all wish you good luck once again with your good works.

Chris Houston

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 12:47:54 PM »
I'm currently working in Nigeria.  I've seen quite a few old German pumps sitting on bricks around.  I would guess they were also donated.

Will you donate things that they can actually service and have the parts for?

Offline GB

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 04:21:58 PM »
Hi Chris

You make an excellent point. We have so far donated 11 fire engines and 3 ambulances with another 4 & 2 hopefully heading out soon. We know where each one is, we source any parts that they have difficulty in obtaining, FOC incl shipping, and we send a group of mechanics after 1 year, then every 2nd year thereafter to ensure that they are being maintained correctly in order to extend the useful life of what we donate.

We do not donate things that there are no spare parts for, we do not donate items of equipment that I would not be happy using myself.

We service vehicles before they go, even changing timing belts in the ambulances if mileage is high.

I do take your point though, we have seen a similar scene where folk donate items that are unfit for use by anyone and are no better than scrap very quickly.

If you know of any equipment - we would gladly put it to good use - this is a difficult year in terms of obtaining vehicles and equipment - please if anyone can assist ::)

Chris Houston

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 01:25:50 PM »
Sorry, I have no connections in the fire service.  But having read your comments above, I'd say very well done for actually doing something that works.  Too many people with good intentions don't make much of a difference.  It seems you have actually thought things through and are doing something helpful and sustainable.

Good work!

Offline GB

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 11:42:46 AM »
URGENT ASSISTANCE NEEDED

Following from Chris's almost prophetic post ;D one of our fire engines is not fit to send away to Moldova - we are desperately looking for a replacement asap. We have upto 3.5K to spend on a good fire appliance that won't need much work and hopefully hasn't been decommissioned too much.

Due to now extremely tight timescales - I would be very grateful if anyone knows of any appliances (either direct from LAFB or any other source) which we can purchase or recieve FOC (yes I do believe in miracles!) for the convoy that leaves in 8 weeks!

Chris Houston

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 08:18:33 PM »
May I suggest making full use of social media (facebook and twitter) to further your cause. You'll find all the forward thinking charities do so very much.

Set up a facebook "cause", invite all your friends. Ask them to invite all their friends.

Tweet about what you need.

In the meantime, I've made the topic a "sticky" that should start the donations flooding in. Hope you have a car park big enough.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:23:56 PM by Chris Houston »

Offline Mr. P

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 09:24:32 AM »
Sorry for a cheap quirk but - London may have some! (via AssetCo.)

Offline Golden

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 09:33:10 AM »
Mr. P - its debatable whether they currently have enough to service the LFB contract according to the FBU!!

I did see that Bucks were selling some this week although I believe they are looking for the full market price. It used to be the case that second hand fire engines were cheap but unfortunately with a growing business in 'hen nights' and other limousine type businesses they are now attracting a good price.

Anecdote time!! I was once on duty at a six nations rugby match at Twickenham in the control room when the senior RFU person called me over to get the fire engine out of the concourse and ripped into me about the rule that FB personnel weren't supposed to be there on match days. After studying the CCTV for him I was able to confirm (with the help of the police) that is was indeed a fire engine but that it wasn't one of ours and his staff had just granted full access to a group of lads from a pub who had brought an old fire engine from an auction a few days earlier!

Offline fireftrm

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 06:29:15 PM »
I work as part of IFRA, www.ifra.co.uk and we send appliances around the world to support countries with no, or little, Fire Service. I may be able to help on appliances as there are two due to come out of service in a FRS which supports us. The cost would be reasonable and all funds would go to support our charity anyway. PM me.
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline GB

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 03:21:05 PM »
Hi Fireftrm
I have dropped you a PM - hopefully you should get it - I am not great with IT so if don't recieve let me know.

Grateful for any assistance out there ::)

Offline GB

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 04:45:41 PM »
With 3 weeks until we leave :o we have secured all of our vehicles but still need the following equipment if anyone has any contacts / sources or even items available.
4No Lukas cutters & spreaders
4No 13.5m Ladders
DSU's or DSX's
3No 5X Foam making branches and pick up tubes
Full oxygen cylinders
5 Lengths Hard suction hose

thanks for taking the time to read this post - if you can assist in any way, we would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Gb
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 12:37:47 PM by GB »

Offline GB

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 09:31:33 PM »
Many thanks moderator for leaving this as a sticky - very much appreciated.

We are just back from Moldova where we managed to deliver the 4 equipped fire engines and 2 ambulances - all went well even though a quite a few more grey hairs, a few more stress (or is it laughter) lines, but a great job by all the team involved (while I found the nearest cafe and watched the day go by!)

Thanks again.

GB

Offline GB

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 09:06:03 PM »
The first trip did some serious damage to our grey hair count - the 2nd almost killed us emotionally and physically - you would think we would learn - but no!

We leave in 7 weeks time - departing 28th August - and we are short of cutting equipment!

Can anyone help?

Moldova had 1 set of cutting gear when we first visited there - we have managed to get them up to 18 sets in the entire country - we are hoping to take 14 sets in August. I have 6 sets but need more.

please if you can assist, let me know and we can pick it up from you.

Many thanks

Offline GB

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 11:13:56 AM »
I am not sure if anyone can help with this years trip?

We are heading to Romania in 4 weeks time with 5 fully equipped Type B Water Tender Ladders, one of which is going to a high security prison!! Where we will be teaching the inmates and some wardens to fight fires in their local community! Giving prisoners ladders and cutting gear will be a novel idea - we just need the same number of crew back from the turnout as the what left the prison!

The local community which they serve needs to wait over an hour for the nearest appliance therefore this is a crucial front line vehicle.

We are in desperate need for Hard Suction, Lay Flat delivery Hose and Lucas powerpacks.

Can anyone assist?
We have approached similar organisations but they can't assist us at this time. We have donated over 30 fully equipped appliances with each and every one still in operation (with a few parts being sent over from the UK!)
If you can assist, please let me know, we can pick up from anywhere in the UK. Thanks for taking the time to read this.