Author Topic: Replacement of Extinguishers  (Read 3181 times)

jakespop

Replacement of Extinguishers
« on: June 21, 2011, 12:26:55 PM »
My client has been advised that a number of extinguishers with plastic heads require replacing under British Standard BS 5306-3:2009  which states that "UV degradation of plastic heads will indicate that the extinguisher is unsafe for use".

To overcome this situation my clent is being advised that British Standard recommends replacement when they are due their 5 yearly discharge test, or if the degradation is severe.

I am assuming the 5 year test is now due but the potential bill is an unexpected headache.

Any comments/advice please?

I am just about to read said standard!

Offline TFEM

Re: Replacement of Extinguishers
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 02:32:33 PM »
The headcap assemblies should be changed at periodic discharge test and at every subsequent periodic discharge test unless it shows clear signs of UV degradation (greying of the black plastic) when it should be changed immediately.
In practice however, is it economically viable to spend this money (and keep spending money) on extinguishers that may be nearing the end of their life? Especially when a powder unit will also require an expensive refill.
A massive discount on the price of a new replacement unit would be more sensible where the affected unit is a number of years old but 5306 does not state that the extinguisher should be thrown away carte blanche.
John 

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 08:54:05 PM »
I'm pleased to find you have a decent contractor! Too many 'rag & taggers' and even usually more decent firms are oblivious to this new(ish) requirement.

Damaged and degraded plastic valves have and will undergo critical failure and engineers have been severely injured. I see too many awful ones in service waiting to pop.

This issue is what finally saw the demise of the well used Fireward plastic bodied dry powder extinguishers that were sold between the 60's and mid 80's by almost everyone (but most commonly Betterware, Pyrene/Chubb and Angus).

At extended service they should be replaced or before if obviously damaged. The TG Series 2000 and the Ceo Deux valve (used over the years by Allied, Angus, FPS Bristol (Firemark),Gloria,Firesnow,etc) can still be obtained to do this, the other common ones such as the pre 92 Chubb, Series 2000 1/2 kilo powder and more obscure stuff isn't.

Most people who follow the guidelines simply condemn (after all most places service exchange at 5 years anyway now, although it isn't really an exchange as your goes in the scrap & you get a new Chinese model in it's place) as it's too much hassle and not enough mark up to stock and replace heads.

I don't either, but offer a suitable discount against replacement, although bear in mind unless it's a Gloria cartridge model your original extinguisher will be over 10 years old....

I've seen a Chubb engineer  replace a S2000 cartridge water headcap at Extended Service so it does happen (although unless on a local authority contract it will have cost more than new equipment from other places!)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:55:53 PM by AnthonyB »
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

Offline Psuedonym

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 05:38:29 PM »
Wow Anthony, was the Chubb guy having a bad day or on his way out on redundancy?  ;D
Ansul R102 Kitchen Suppression Enthusiast

Created using refurbished electrons to ensure I do my bit to save the planet...Polar bear cubs saved so far:2.75. Reduced due to effects of Carbon Footprint on the carpet. It's a bugger to shift...