Author Topic: School science rooms.  (Read 4149 times)

Offline Golden

School science rooms.
« on: October 11, 2011, 12:04:24 PM »
One that's been puzzling me. I've been used to seeing science rooms in schools come in pairs and be provided with an interconnect door between the two. I'd always taken this to be for fire escape purposes as an alternative route within the science rooms as these were considered risk rooms, however I can't find any reference to this in BB100 or the CLG guides but is seems to have stuck in my mind possibly from FS College. Can anyone shed any light on why these doors are provided in these rooms?

The reason for asking is that I've always recommended that the doors be fitted with snib or similar locks so that they are available from both sides but a few of the schools that I'm working in are keeping them locked. With the modern construction, low frequency of use/small quantities of any particularly hazardous chemicals and the gas safe systems that are provided within the rooms I generally can't argue against locking the doors but just wondered if any of the forum members can recall any particular codes or guidance that originally required this interconnection.

Offline Phoenix

• Get a bicycle. You will not live to regret it
    • MetaSolutions (Fire Safety Engineering) Ltd.
Re: School science rooms.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 05:33:44 PM »
Not a general requirement if single direction travel distances are met.  Without digging out BB7, which I used to be pretty familiar with, I can't recall such a requirement.  Of course, if travel distances are being stretched then it could offer a solution if the layout is right.

Stu

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 06:54:10 PM »
Also, often these rooms don't offer the safest of routes for the little oiks.

Offline Golden

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 07:15:56 PM »
Thanks Phoenix, I've looked up BB7 and it states that more than one room exit should be provided in a laboratory or other high risk room if a single exit door would be in a hazardous position, also BB100 2005 version does mention a maximum of 6m direct travel distance in a laboratory in one direction only however I can't find this in the 2007 version. I think for the purposes of the risk assessment its fair to say that the travel distances in the instances I'm referring to aren't excessive when considered alongside the additional fire precautions in the rooms even though I'm always reluctant to accept locked doors!

By the way I do have an electronic version of BB7 if you would like a copy.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:29:26 PM by Golden »

Offline John Webb

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 12:01:23 PM »
I wonder if the interconnecting door is less of a fire safety matter and more for the convenience of the lab technician or teacher so they can move equipment around without having to go into a corridor between the two rooms.....
Long time since I was at school so this may be pure speculation......
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 12:13:49 PM »
I wonder if the interconnecting door is less of a fire safety matter and more for the convenience of the lab technician or teacher so they can move equipment around without having to go into a corridor between the two rooms.....
Long time since I was at school so this may be pure speculation......
Thats what I thought John. Remembering back to my days all the adjoining labs and CDT rooms had interconnecting doors. 
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 10:23:19 PM »
...BB100 2005 version does mention a maximum of 6m direct travel distance in a laboratory in one direction only however I can't find this in the 2007 version... 

In the fire safety world, for some reason, every revision or re-issue of a document seems to lead to an erosion and diminution of guidance details.  There are a few nuggets of good advice in BB7 that I do not expect to ever see published again.