Author Topic: High Court orders evacuation of Dublin Apartment block  (Read 12139 times)

Offline nearlythere

Re: High Court orders evacuation of Dublin Apartment block
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 09:35:18 AM »
Mr Know makes a very valid point by saying that there can be a huge difference between what plans show and the finished product. Bricks and plasterboard can hide a multitude of sins.
Mind you I have seen worse in Belfast in a block built within the last few years. I did the Assessment which highlighted structural issues which BC met with me to discuss. The irony is that they said they could not do anything about it except to offer advice. As I have said recently I know that the managing agent has install a fire alarm system to some degree as I have seen their accounts which show moneys paid for a service of a FA system. There was no common system installed when I carried out the assessment.
There is no evidence in the accounts showing money paid for any structural works other than fixing roof leaks and repairs after the building was flooded by the Lagan.
I have no doubt this is just one example of many and certainly not confined to NI.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 10:58:05 PM »
I believe that Tommy's development business is looking for a fire safety advisor.

Tom McFeely was in the Provisional IRA and spent 53 days on hunger strike in the Maze prison in 1980.

He went on to become a multi-millionaire property developer and is director of Coalport Developments.

Anybody looking to apply?

Cleaver? How's about you for the first week? Eli the second?

Offline Davo

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 10:46:04 AM »
Is that the time?, must dash old chap...........

davo

Eli

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 07:20:38 PM »

It could be one of the easiest jobs in the world; yes that’s fine, no problems here, I think the risk is minimal etc etc.

The only thing stopping me is the state of the Euro and the fact that I want to use my knees for another 40 years at least.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 08:39:49 AM »

It could be one of the easiest jobs in the world; yes that’s fine, no problems here, I think the risk is minimal etc etc.

The only thing stopping me is the state of the Euro and the fact that I want to use my knees for another 40 years at least.

Eli. Don't be such a whimp. The Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast is a world leader in knee reconstruction.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 04:24:29 PM »
A County Londonderry developer behind a Dublin apartment block deemed a fire hazard, has been jailed for three months.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15778408

Offline Wiz

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 05:41:22 PM »
Reading all the links to news stories and previous posts here on this subject, I am impressed with how the judge has dealt with so many matters.
There has been freezing of assets of the developers, instruction to the local council to set up hotlines for concerned tenants and to arrange and pay for alternative accommodation for the residents, jail and fines for the developer, pleas to the mortgage providers to go easy on the mortgagees, instructions to the fire service to provide on-site fire coverage etc. etc.
Would a judge over here act so comprehensively and compasionately?
If it is true that those overseeing fire safety over there might not be doing their job so well, it seems that the judge is playing a blinder!
I don't believe I've ever thought that before of a judge!

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 07:38:27 PM »
He probably owns one of the apartments.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 09:54:51 AM »
Good point N.T.  :) 

I wondered why he was so uncharacteristically on the side of the apartment owners!