Author Topic: Hotel Inspector  (Read 11089 times)

Eli

Hotel Inspector
« on: November 16, 2011, 12:47:04 PM »
Did anyone watch the ‘Hotel Inspector’ this week?

It was set in a Blackpool hotel and within the first minute or two I noticed several fire safety issues. Obstructed final exit, wedged open fire door, a curtain that was all over a plug socket and water dripping through an electric light fitting. 

Simple question!

Under legislation could the FRS enforce on this TV evidence if they wanted to?

Offline nearlythere

Re: Hotel Inspector
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 01:36:14 PM »
Did anyone watch the ‘Hotel Inspector’ this week?

It was set in a Blackpool hotel and within the first minute or two I noticed several fire safety issues. Obstructed final exit, wedged open fire door, a curtain that was all over a plug socket and water dripping through an electric light fitting.  

Simple question!

Don't see why not. Good video evidence.
Haven't the police successfully prosecuted motor bike riders who have videoed their own speeding exploits posted on youtube?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 01:38:34 PM »
I noticed a wedged open fire door to a bedroom but was this because a camera crew had walked backward into the room. Would you not see this in most large hotels when housekeeping are cleaning rooms everyday. In the event of a fire they push the trolley into the room and leave the building.

What I have real issues with is how do hotels receive a star rating on whether there is an ironing board or trouser press but do not have fire alarms or fire resistance? 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 01:47:48 PM by Dinnertime Dave »

Offline CivvyFSO

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 02:04:42 PM »
Enforce or prosecute?

Midland Retty

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 02:09:26 PM »

Short answer is probably, if you mean in terms of informal enforcement, but to take forward a prosecution based on TV footage alone would be a different matter altogether.

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 06:44:50 PM »
It would/should if brought to their attention trigger an audit of the premises from which they could happily defect/enforce/prohibit/prosecute as they see fit based on the findings - I can't see them not visiting  and taking purely remote action.
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 07:22:42 PM »
I agree with Anthony. I dont believe the matters broadcast could be used as evidence as there can be no continuity of evidence in accordance with PACE. Similarly for enforcement action the film may be historic and the matters may already have been rectified.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 07:25:01 PM by kurnal »

Offline facades

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 09:33:13 AM »
Me thinks your watching the hotel inspector for all the wrong reasons Eli  :o

Offline CivvyFSO

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 10:34:35 AM »
I agree with Anthony. I dont believe the matters broadcast could be used as evidence as there can be no continuity of evidence in accordance with PACE.

As mentioned earlier, the police have used Youtube clips as evidence before in successful prosecutions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7254599.stm

In the hotel case mentioned here, I think that the difficulty would lie in proving persons were actually put at risk. The footage would prove that a door was blocked, it doesn't prove that people were put at risk.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 10:39:13 AM »
I agree with Anthony. I dont believe the matters broadcast could be used as evidence as there can be no continuity of evidence in accordance with PACE.

As mentioned earlier, the police have used Youtube clips as evidence before in successful prosecutions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7254599.stm

In the hotel case mentioned here, I think that the difficulty would lie in proving persons were actually put at risk. The footage would prove that a door was blocked, it doesn't prove that people were put at risk.
Was it not blocked for the Inspector and anyone who would have been behind the camera.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Eli

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 12:14:12 PM »

Does someone like Alex Polizzi?

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 05:21:30 PM »

Does someone like Alex Polizzi?

Not really she spends far too much time lying naked in the jacuzzi for me

Offline TFEM

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 08:23:57 PM »
Must have missed that episode.
John

Midland Retty

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 09:36:17 AM »
I agree with Anthony. I dont believe the matters broadcast could be used as evidence as there can be no continuity of evidence in accordance with PACE. Similarly for enforcement action the film may be historic and the matters may already have been rectified.

Maybe but its not to say that the evidence can't be used for informal enforcement

You couldn't use it for prosecution purposes however

Offline CivvyFSO

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 01:10:23 PM »

Maybe but its not to say that the evidence can't be used for informal enforcement

You couldn't use it for prosecution purposes however

Why not? Why do you need to prove continuity of evidence from something whereby the original would be easy to source to ensure that it hasn't been tampered with? Haven't the papers issued pictures of rioters/hooligans etc in order to trace them and assist the police in prosecutions? If it hasn't been done in accordance with PACE then it may be harder as the validity is easier to question, but that does not negate the possiblity of proving the validity.