Author Topic: Thomas Glover 2kg CO2 Extinguishers & 26/4/13 Update - Now on Chubb CO2's  (Read 32332 times)

Offline lancsfirepro

Visible signs of leaking (not 'gunk') is a viable reason to withdraw an extinguisher from service. Most extinguishers come with a 5 year warranty unless you buy the cheapo ones. The manufacturer should exchange any leaking extinguisher under warranty then. It really is that simple. Take the extinguishers back to your supplier and if they won't arrange replacements under warranty, contact your trade body.
If they are extinguishers from a manufacturer you do not deal with (but you know they would be under warranty) I would immediately contact the manufacturer and ask if they are prepared to offer replacements if faulty and leave temporary cover on site. If they won't (which should be unlikely) you'll have to explain to the customer and show them the leak. If they won't pay for replacements, just note it on the inspection certificate that the client has been made aware of the situation. The extinguisher should be marked as 'not maintained'.
Manufacturers not prepared to assist in rectifying the situation should be reported to your trade body.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 04:04:13 PM by lancsfirepro »

Offline Psuedonym

No product recall - no fault.

No offence but I change units that have has lost weight (i.e. any amount not a percentage) before removing simply because of substance around the neck.
Then I've got proof not speculation.
Ansul R102 Kitchen Suppression Enthusiast

Created using refurbished electrons to ensure I do my bit to save the planet...Polar bear cubs saved so far:2.75. Reduced due to effects of Carbon Footprint on the carpet. It's a bugger to shift...

Offline lancsfirepro

You seem to be concentrating on the substance around the neck rather than the visible leak that is present in that substance.  I'm not talking about a few static bubbles, I'm talking about seeing bubbles forming before my eyes, surely that isn't 'speculation' it is evidence of a fault.  You have no idea that the leak will not increase before the next time you have chance to examine it.
Would be interested to know which company you work at Psuedonym.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 04:25:30 PM by lancsfirepro »

Offline Psuedonym

Forgive me LFP but I have obviously misunderstood this post.

I was not aware of the fact that you were concerned having actually witnessed "bubbling".
Obviously if you see that, it's leaking and requires removing ASAP.
Regardless to where I or anyone else works, that's bloody common sense.

ps approx. 20 years in the game  ::)

Created using refurbished electrons to ensure I do my bit to save the planet...Polar bear cubs saved so far:2.75. Reduced due to effects of Carbon Footprint on the carpet. It's a bugger to shift...

Offline lancsfirepro

I was not aware of the fact that you were concerned having actually witnessed "bubbling".
You didn't watch the video I posted in reply 11?  I'm hurt!

Obviously if you see that, it's leaking and requires removing ASAP.
Phew!

Regardless to where I or anyone else works, that's bloody common sense.
Was curious because you too are in Preston.  ;)

Offline Psuedonym

Sorry mate i don't have a huge amount of time to get online so didn't see the clip.

Maybe if I'd bothered to, I'd have understood the problem a bit better !!!  ;D  ;D

Offline lancsfirepro

I found 10 actively leaking FirePower CO2's on Friday (I installed them last year) - stamped 06/2012; so this is not limited to late 2011 and early 2012 as first suggested.  I asked our supplier and they admitted they do not know when TG stopped using the faulty o-ring.  This is becoming a bit of a pain now.