Author Topic: NEW VERSION OF BS 5839-1  (Read 17590 times)

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
NEW VERSION OF BS 5839-1
« on: March 30, 2013, 01:09:37 AM »
The new, 2013 version of BS 5839-1 is now published.  I anticipate that a revised edition of my text book on the code will be published in around six weeks.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Re: NEW VERSION OF BS 5839-1
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 09:05:35 PM »
Would there be any chance of a bullet point summary of the main changes for forum members please  Colin?

Graeme

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 11:07:45 PM »
Now on the shopping list

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
Kurnal,  You will find them in the foreword to the standard.  Any chance you could do this, as I am really short of time right now. If not, I can do it when I get a moment. Let me know.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 12:56:53 PM »
Thought I ought to have a gander;

This new edition introduces a number of technical changes. It does not constitute a full revision of the document, which will be undertaken in due course. The principal changes introduced by this new edition are as follows.

1.   The title has been modified to more accurately reflect the scope and content of this part of BS 5839.

2.   The importance of providing accurate and unambiguous information to staff in residential care premises about the location of a fire has been highlighted in Clause 4.

3.   A definition of “zone plan” has been added to the terms and definitions (Clause 3), with additional guidance added to subclause 6.1 and Clause 23, and new recommendations added to subclauses 42.2, 46.2 and 47.2. This is reflected in the sample acceptance certificate in H.4.

4.   Item e) of 7.2 has been modified to emphasize the importance of identifying and recording agreed variations.

5.   A definition of “visual alarm device” has been added to the terms and definitions (Clause 3), with a new recommendation on such devices added to subclause 11.2.

6.   Table 4 of the 2002 edition, “Limits of ceiling height (Category P systems and five minute fire and rescue service attendance)”, has been deleted.

7.   Clause 15 has been updated with guidance and recommendations on the provision of automatic transmission of fire alarm signals.

8.   The guidance and recommendations of Clause 19 and subclause 35.2.7 have been updated to address the need to avoid delay in summoning the fire and rescue service when the fire detection and fire alarm system of a residential care premises operates.

9.   The dimension of the width covered by the optical beam detector given in Figure 13 has been corrected to 18.75 m.

10.   Subclause 45.1 now highlights that routine servicing of a fire detection and fire alarm system does not constitute a fresh review of system design, so that non compliance with this standard might not be identified during such servicing.

11.   The wording of Annex C has been altered to further highlight the normative status of this annex.

12.   A new Annex F has been added containing useful information on visual alarm device illumination characteristics from LPCB CoP 0001 [1]. Copyright is claimed on Annex F. Copyright holders are BRE Global Limited, Bucknalls Lane, Watford, Herefordshire, WD25 9XX, and the Fire Industry Association, Tudor House, Kingsway Business Park, Oldfield Road, Hampton, Middlesex, TW12 2HD. LPCB CoP 0001 is periodically updated and the latest edition needs to be consulted.

13.   It is now recommended that major variations from the recommendations of this standard are recorded in the system logbook [see 7.2e)].

14.   The term “care home” has been substituted throughout the document with “residential care premises”.

15.   The term “fire service” has been substituted throughout the document with “fire and rescue service”.

16.   The term “responsible person” has been removed and replaced with references to “premises management” to avoid confusion with the term defined in legislation.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 01:10:03 PM »
Thanks Wee B. I had just dipped my hand in my pocket to purchase the new edition of the standard and was about to post the same extract.

Feeling a bit ripped off (not for the first time)!.

Offline CWEENG

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 01:39:49 PM »
Again with an other BS,,,,,,,,,,,,

Minimal changes that could be dealt with by means of an amendment,  instead of a full re issue costing £££££

Graeme

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 07:19:24 PM »
Service engineers not to go out their way to list variations or review the design of the system they are testing.

A welcome change in my opinion. I had this argument with an inspector as I could not see the point with a service engineer listing an essay for a maintenance when all variations had been documented in a take over report previously.

Yet I was told it had to be done every maintenance,which is time consuming and the customer takes no notice anyway.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 07:25:55 PM by Graeme »

Offline Owain

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 10:24:06 PM »

Minimal changes that could be dealt with by means of an amendment,  instead of a full re issue costing £££££

Do you not get them free from your local library?

Offline lancsfirepro

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 08:52:04 AM »
Apparently you can but I've never looked into it to see how far I'd have to travel. http://www.bsieducation.org/Education/resources/libraries.shtml

Offline Wiz

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 08:58:43 AM »

Free to read in libraries, but when you need to refer to a copy, especially when someone doesn't believe a particular recommendation, then it helps to have a hard copy available.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 09:02:04 AM »
Apparently you can but I've never looked into it to see how far I'd have to travel. http://www.bsieducation.org/Education/resources/libraries.shtml

Many libraries allow members to access copies on-line from any PC if you are a member of that library. So you could view it, but not print it out, from home or office, free-of-charge. But having a hard copy comes in very handy (see above).

Offline Owain

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »

Many libraries allow members to access copies on-line from any PC if you are a member of that library. So you could view it, but not print it out, from home or office, free-of-charge. But having a hard copy comes in very handy (see above).

That's where PDFUnlock can come in useful - turns secured PDFs into printable PDFs.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 11:51:02 AM »
Well done Owain I hope the BSI aren't watching you may find the service cancelled.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline William 29

• http://www.tfsltd.net
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 12:56:24 PM »
We gained BAFE SP205 via NSI, if you join NSI (fee is around £90 but please check) then you can view and download any BS, I think you can use it for about 3 months then it deletes off your system but you can just re download it again, so worth checking out.