Author Topic: 240v mains supply  (Read 4740 times)

Graeme

240v mains supply
« on: September 03, 2013, 01:35:56 PM »
Hello All

Has anyone heard what I have been informed from a Sparky via his accreditation Body regards electricians installing the supplies in that if they install the cable they have to assume responsibility for the whole installation and commission it?

I do hope this is a case of the sparky throwing the toys out of the pram as he did not want he extra work?

I have not heard this one before and I find it very amusing that is what his accreditation lot are telling him.

I am know anyway pricing for us to install the supply cable and have a spark sign it off,that way at least I know it's done right . Nothing more annoying after your engineers make a nice neat install,for a spark to the throw up a squint conduit and ruin it .

Offline John Webb

Re: 240v mains supply
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 09:22:03 PM »
BS 7671 - the "Wiring Regs" - are not concerned with extra-low voltage systems, that is those under 100 V, except for wiring from photo-voltaic panels which provide mains power and keeping the extra-low voltage stuff clear of the 240V stuff.

So there is no provision in BS 7671 for the appropriate testing of an extra-low voltage system such as a fire alarm other than its mains feed and that appropriate clearances between the two type of wiring exist. So I don't know what the sparky or his accreditation body are talking about. Or if indeed the sparky was correctly quoting the said body!
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 07:34:36 AM »
I believe BS 7671 was amended in 2012 and Approved Document P in 2013 could they have included something that has been misinterpreted?
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 07:52:07 AM »
I think Graeme is referring to the installation of the 240v mains feed to the fire alarm control panel.

We hear lots of misinformation from sparkies. Two recent "Facts" we came across-

"Every workplace MUST have an L1 system"
"Every fire exit in a workplace MUST have illuminated exit signs."

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 02:34:28 PM »
Add to that:
"All portable appliances MUST be tested every year"
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 03:47:36 PM »
I agree, I also think Graeme was talking about the supply to the CIE but the amended ADP appears to include extra low voltage as notifiable and is subject to the need of certification (commissioning)? However it only applies to dwellings, which includes businesses attached to the consumer unit of a dwelling (pubs, etc). I think its worth a competent person to take a look and give an expert response. 
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Graeme

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 05:12:22 PM »
Gents

Yes I was referring to the 240v supply to the control panel that fire companies are having the constant headaches with electricians to install and certify .

This was Select that has supposedly supplied this information, a new one on me.