Author Topic: Arson in different countries  (Read 9515 times)

Chris Houston

Arson in different countries
« on: November 16, 2003, 11:05:18 AM »
I think everyone would agree that we have an arson problem in the UK.  (But if you don't, I'm not trying to start a debate about it today.)

What I am trying to do, is compare other countries approcahes to this issue:
 - Do other (developed) countries have arson problems?
 - Can I get stats on this from other countries?
 - What do other countries do about it (I'm especialy interested in unusual but effective strategies.  And I've deliberatly make this quite an open question to see how wide a range of ideas I can gather)
 - Can people point me towards arson prevention forums in other countries?

I know it's a bit of a mamoth question, so there is a free Zurich keyring in it for the best answer...........

Offline Brian Catton

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2003, 12:44:09 PM »
Chris,

What do you mean by developed???

All countries can have an arson problem due to different factors. E.G economic, social, political.

I think it is more important to consider the basic underlying cause and the methods of tackling the problem.

When you have considered the likelihood in some of the countries that you may consider are not developed (give me examples) and balance this against the financial and social consequences it would make interesting reading.

Chris Houston

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2003, 04:47:17 PM »
I maybe overcomplicated this, I just want to compare "similar" countries to see what they do to tackle arson.  All thoughts, ideas etc welcome.  Post away folks............

Offline Brian Catton

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2003, 05:51:47 PM »
Chris I should put the shovel down. What do you mean by similar. Population, land mass, previous colonial dominance, ethnic mix, no of fire service strikes????

Chris Houston

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2003, 07:07:57 PM »
I want information that may possibly be of practical use in the UK, I have no specific criteria, I hope that people will speak about solutions that might work in the UK.  So if people know of countries where buildings are protected by Voodoo, or by patrolling machine gun totting guards, I'm not interested, but if they have solutions that we should look at here, then please tell me.

If anyone has any suggestions, "fire" them to me at chris.houston@uk.zurich.com

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2003, 08:59:37 AM »
Well at least we've cleared up the meaning of "similar" to the UK!