Author Topic: Cupboards in the communal area of a building need to be FR  (Read 4888 times)

Offline Tom Sutton

Cupboards in the communal area of a building need to be FR
« on: October 13, 2014, 03:30:17 PM »
Do cupboards in the communal area of a building with 3 rented flats need to be fire doors? One cupboard houses the electricity meters for the flats and the landlord supply and the other has a water meter, stopcock and is used to store a vacuum cleaner.

Many years ago we used to require them to be FR but now under risk assessment is it necessary, considering it is likely to be a single staircase?
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Re: Cupboards in the communal area of a building need to be FR
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 03:46:33 PM »
If they were built today ADB would recommend  FR. enclosure. I would consider the guidance contemporary to the construction of the building, and the balance the issue out with other factors - age and condition of the installation, evacuation strategy for the building, other risks and combustibles in the vicinity, any additional risks posed by other equipment in addition to the meters, periodic tests and maintenance etc

Offline Golden

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
Hi Tom, in my opinion any door that houses a risk from a fire loading, i.e. a store room, or an ignition risk such as the electrical meters should be fitted with a fire door and the door kept locked shut however in the case of water meters I don't normally insist on FR as long as the door is kept locked. I've seen enforcement notices that have required electrical intakes/meters to be enclosed in FR construction in such premises.

As you point out though with the RA approach it is down to individual perception of risk and not a prescriptive approach.

Offline Owain

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 08:11:36 PM »
An electricity intake / meter is an ignition risk, but apart from the PVC insulation on the cables there shouldn't really be any fuel load (providing dust/fluff is removed).

Meter boxes within non-combustible construction would normally be sufficient. Cupboards have the problem they can accumulate clutter.