Author Topic: Building separation  (Read 8531 times)

Offline Collegeboy

Building separation
« on: December 03, 2014, 12:19:36 PM »
Hi all
does anybody know the minimum distance / separation one building should be from another and where it states please, have an office building where a farmer has built a hay barn to the side and it seems rather close, worried about fire spread through radiation ?
many thanks  :)

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
Re: Building separation
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 01:04:43 PM »
Its probably exempt building regs. Schedule 2 of the Building Regs 2010 (google it)

If it isnt exempt or you have an accademic interest then try BR 187. its a publication by the Building Research Establishment that tells you how to do the sums.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 07:38:41 PM »
Hi all
does anybody know the minimum distance / separation one building should be from another and where it states please, have an office building where a farmer has built a hay barn to the side and it seems rather close, worried about fire spread through radiation ?
many thanks  :)
Are these buildings on the same site?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Collegeboy

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 10:14:39 PM »
Hi Nearlythere
Not seen it myself yet but told the office side faces on to the field where the Barn has been built, so im not sure yet regards boundary lines until I see it myself, enquirer is worried if the barn caught fire it seems so close they are worried they could be affected,  was just wondering if there were any guides regards minimum distance that gave definitive answer, eg, there should be a distance of X amount of metres between structures to negate radiated spread ?? :)

Offline Collegeboy

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 10:20:13 PM »
and Thanks to weebrian, that info you supplied looks interesting  ;)

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 10:23:32 PM »
Hi Nearlythere
Not seen it myself yet but told the office side faces on to the field where the Barn has been built, so im not sure yet regards boundary lines until I see it myself, enquirer is worried if the barn caught fire it seems so close they are worried they could be affected,  was just wondering if there were any guides regards minimum distance that gave definitive answer, eg, there should be a distance of X amount of metres between structures to negate radiated spread ?? :)
Think youll find something in building regs about building close to boundaries.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Collegeboy

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 10:27:21 PM »
are we talking App Doc B nearly there ?

Offline Phoenix

• Get a bicycle. You will not live to regret it
    • MetaSolutions (Fire Safety Engineering) Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 01:54:36 AM »
The following buildings are exempt from Part B (Fire safety) of the Building Regulations ( see http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/responsibilities/buildingregulations/approvalneeded/exemptions):

1. Subject to paragraph 3, a greenhouse.

2. A building used, subject to paragraph 3, for agriculture, or a building principally for the keeping of animals, provided in each case that?

(a) no part of the building is used as a dwelling;

(b) no point of the building is less than one and a half times its height from any point of a building which contains sleeping accommodation; and

(c) the building is provided with a fire exit which is not more than 30 metres from any point in the building.

3. The descriptions of buildings in paragraphs 1 and 2 do not include a greenhouse or a building used for agriculture if the principal purpose for which they are used is retailing, packing or exhibiting.

4. In paragraph 2, ?agriculture? includes horticulture, fruit growing, the growing of plants for seed and fish farming.

Also, if the buildings are not exempt but are owned by the same organisation then there is probably no requirement under the Building Regulations for a minimum space separation distance (this is what NT was getting at).

If a fire in the new hay barn could compromise the means of escape from the office then there might be implications under the Fire Safety Order.  A lot depends on the ownership of and responsibilities for the respective buildings.  It might be, for example, that the responsible person for the office building falls foul of the Fire Safety Order while the owner of the barn has no problems under legislation.  Life can be so unfair.

If the hay barn does not have the potential to compromise the means of escape from the office then legislation has little to say about the matter.  That doesn't mean to say that a fire in the barn won't spread to the office (or vice versa) and the owner/manager of the office might be right to feel vulnerable if, indeed, the buildings are so close that fire might spread from one to the other.  If I owned a building and a neighbour introduced a threat to my property then I would make every effort to inform the person who introduced the threat of my concerns and ask them to remedy the situation as soon as possible.  Legally, this would put me in a much stronger position to sue for negligence if the worst were to happen.  

If the threat was very real and obvious then the owner of the office might be able to get a court order to remove the threat, i.e. move the barn.  The owner of the office would have to be able to demonstrate that there existed a real threat to his/her property and that would probably not be an easy matter to demonstrate.  Even if the hay barn is right up against the office it's not a threat unless it catches fire, so if there is little chance of it catching fire then no threat has been demonstrated.

As for assessing the adequacy of the separation (and the likelihood of fire spread), you can try to use the tables in section B4 of ADB but, as Wee Brian has said, BR187 will give better results.  

Offline Collegeboy

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 02:04:45 AM »
 ;D Thank you Gentlemen, that makes perfect sense, I appreciate your time, knowledge and views
warmest regards
Geoff  :)