Author Topic: Types of fires that can start at schools  (Read 93851 times)

Offline becky

Types of fires that can start at schools
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2005, 12:26:54 PM »
No we don't want to torch our school! why would we want to do that when it is the best one in our area? if we did we would have to go to one of the other crap schools instead and not do so well in our GCSE's.

Offline Fishy

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2005, 03:05:23 PM »
Well said, young'un!!!

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2005, 03:40:05 PM »
Well if you promise to be good...

Try this website full of stuff on arson prevention in schools.

http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/toolkits/ssh00.htm

Of course some fires aren't started by kids. In which case you can think of anything hot next to anything that burns

Coats left on heaters, badly maintained boilers, Light fittings that go wrong, mad chemistry teachers etc.

Princess

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2005, 08:04:39 PM »
Students

You still haven't said exactly what the gcse work is specifically looking at other than how fires start in schools and work places. As others have indicated the most likely cause of a school fire is arson. The Arson Prevention Bureau have produced some research on school fires and guidance on how to reduce the risk. They have also produced other documents on commerical fires and how building design can reduce the risk of arson. I think you can down load or order from their website - link below. The ODPM produce statistics on all fires attended by the Fire and Rescue Service and the link is also below. There is also a document on the ODPM website which gives information on the economic cost of fire which may be useful for your project.

Again if you can be more specific about what you are doing I'm sure someone here will be able to point you in the right direction.

good luck

The Arson Prevention Bureau have carried out research into school fires.
http://www.arsonpreventionbureau.org.uk/Publications/Default.aspx?GID=3

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_fire/documents/divisionhomepage/039817.hcsp

Offline dave bev

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2005, 10:20:16 AM »
student type people - ODPM stands for the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister - bit scary isnt it!

good look with your studies, follow the links you have been given and it WILL help. also contact your local fire service (or fire station) they should be able to point you to more local info

dave bev

dave bevb

Offline becky

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2005, 02:32:43 PM »
thank you everyone for your help...we cant be very specific about the infomation we need as our guidelines havent really specified to us what we need...all it says is 'Research how different fires may start at school or in the work place.' we have to find out 'the type of fire', 'description (e.g how does fire start, relate to the fire triangle' and 'sepcific example in school lab or place of work'....
if you can give any more infomation we would be very grateful...

Offline becky

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2005, 02:38:02 PM »
Quote from: wee brian
Well if you promise to be good...

Try this website full of stuff on arson prevention in schools.

http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/toolkits/ssh00.htm

Of course some fires aren't started by kids. In which case you can think of anything hot next to anything that burns

Coats left on heaters, badly maintained boilers, Light fittings that go wrong, mad chemistry teachers etc.

we promise

Offline BLONDIE!!!

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2005, 02:41:56 PM »
Hello im sittin in class rite next to you and i have the answers to ur questions! lol! ;-) so just ask me! love yew both x x stundent and student 2!!! x x

Offline becky

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2005, 02:43:23 PM »
well i justed asked you and you have done it different to me so im gna ave to wait and see what these nice people tell me...love u 2 xxxx

Offline BLONDIE!!!

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2005, 02:44:03 PM »
hello i am so bored in this lesson and i think no offence but this is all a waste of time i thought applied science was more practical but its not i havent done 1 practical yet!!!! x x

Offline becky

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2005, 02:45:21 PM »
yea i know, we ave got 3 different porfolios to do on 3 different areas of applied science, its crap. do you think Mr.A gave us all 0s??? i hope to god he didnt   xxxx

Offline BLONDIE!!!

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2005, 02:46:53 PM »
no he didnt he said that we are doin it next lesson... at least i found all my 1st aid work woo hoo!! i am bored really bored! wot are u doin becky x x x
love yew

Offline becky

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2005, 02:48:28 PM »
nuthin, trying to do more on this stupid portfolio, theres so much to do and the deadline is soon, im gona do crap in me GCSE's i just no it...how much do u ave left??  LOVE YOU SIAN!!!!!

Offline BLONDIE!!!

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2005, 02:51:02 PM »
i have done bout 3 pages and the deadline is on my birthday(18th of october) for those of u hu dont no me... u can reply to me and say happy birthday on the 18th! i need to do loads of work but i can be bothered i just cant do it so i will do crap as well no worries love yew becky loads and loads x x

Offline becky

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2005, 02:52:28 PM »
i no its sumink like 2weeks away aint it???   anyways i need to find a load of info on fire doors or sumink like that. ahh help!!! lol   what u doin 2nyt? im well bored....love u lds xxxxxxxxx