Author Topic: Meter boxes  (Read 13056 times)

Offline Bruce89

Meter boxes
« on: October 28, 2016, 11:46:21 AM »
An electric meter cupboard sighted in a communal stairway of a block of flats, is this deemed part of the domestic premises (flat) it serves and therefore outside of the FSO with the exception of art 31 or does art 5 (3) apply similar to the front door of the flat? Opinions appreciated.

Offline Tom Sutton

Re: Meter boxes
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 02:41:11 PM »
It's in the common area then it is subject to the FSO (art 3.b, 5.2) if it needs upgrading the who pays for it is another matter.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline Bruce89

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 08:17:54 PM »
I agree the FSO applies but art 5(3) or (4) appears to be most appropriate which appears to be supported by the cfoa collective perceptions guide.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 08:58:48 PM »
Despite what CFOA says my first question was is there a RP, the common areas are not a workplace so 3 (b) applies and the owner or managing agents are the RP, therefore 5(2) applies. Art 5 (3) (4) is when a certain individuals have control or part control of certain articles therefore has a duty to implement them.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline Bruce89

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 07:22:21 AM »
If the flat owner has control of the meter box (I have one on the outside wall of my house and am responsible for the box) then the same principle of doors to flats surely applies i.e. 5(3) or (4)?

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 08:15:51 AM »
Point Taken.

Offline Bruce89

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 07:02:20 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to reply Tom.

Offline William 29

• http://www.tfsltd.net
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 10:22:15 PM »
Does it matter who has control if it is within the common parts and if involved in fire could affect one of more relevant persons? Just a thought?

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 01:25:51 PM »
Does it matter who has control if it is within the common parts and if involved in fire could affect one of more relevant persons?

The work has to be done, however the critical argument will be by who and who is paying for it! Back to the old saga of Everybody, Anybody, Somebody and Nobody.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline bevfs

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 12:38:43 PM »
This seems to be a typical standard of installation ,sterile means of communal escape, on multi storey residential premises i.e 10 flats per floor ,3x floors .Electric meter box along side fire rated front  door to flat/apartment.
Risk of fire  and spread of smoke from electrical meters minimal (provided that entry points for electrical cable supply&feed are all sealed with fire rated material-which never are), put on that a fiberglass/plastic based -non fire rated meter box door (not class 0)severity high ,a lot of smoke that's for sure going into the communal m of e ,and potential for smoke going into residential flat/apartment, if breaches are not fire sealed.
has anyone any knowledge on any fire authority/building control/AI  enforcing the upgrading of meter box covers? to class 0 on communal m of e, or what the outcomes were

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 02:47:46 PM »
Why would you be concerned with enforcing the upgrading of meter box covers? to class 0 on communal m of e, surface spread of flame is not going to be a major concern I would be looking for for meter box meeting a 30 minute fire resistant standard.

The point about having control is that person has a duty under 5.3 or 5.4 as well as the RP, and is subject to the RRFSO (one or more articles).

Offline bevfs

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 09:17:03 AM »
Why would you be concerned with enforcing the upgrading of meter box covers? to class 0 on communal m of e, surface spread of flame is not going to be a major concern I would be looking for for meter box meeting a 30 minute fire resistant standard.
following dclg guidance on sleeping accommodation Class 0: Materials suitable for circulation,spaces and escape routes
the question was has any fire authority enforced an upgrade to class 0, on  electrical meter service/access cb'd doors commonly found on internal  communal means of escape

Offline col10

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 12:55:44 PM »
The big risk is a fire in the meter box caused by tampering with the meter to  steal electricity.  The meter needs to be behind fire resisting construction. 

The definition of a wall in ADB does not include doors and frames, so the meter box door and its frame do not need to achieve a surface spread of flame rating. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 08:43:45 PM by colin cox »