Author Topic: Sub stations & Windfarms  (Read 17275 times)

Offline GB

Sub stations & Windfarms
« on: February 05, 2016, 10:36:02 AM »
I am looking to increase my knowledge of the above items - does anyone know of any good books / websites / courses where I can learn more about these areas from a FRA perspective.
I have asked the fire service for their ops procedure where they have a large windfarm and sub-station in their area but it hasn't been written yet.
Does anyone know of a brigade where they do have an ops procedure written?

Offline lyledunn

Re: Sub stations & Windfarms
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 05:49:04 PM »
I thought that FRA was about life safety and therefore it would be unlikely that wind farms and sub-stations would be a significant risk in that regard due to the likelihood of low or no occupancy. PV systems, on the otherhand are often installed with the inverters in some odd places. Like everything else, commercial pressure often results in a race to the bottom. I note that NICEIC are asking inspectors to get their head in to the loft in case there is PV equipment. Installers are being encouraged to consider adjacent smoke detection.

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 09:16:12 AM »
Yes Lyle but remember last year two workers died when the wind turbine they were working on caught fire.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline GB

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 09:56:52 AM »
In addition, the sub stations will have a FRS response - I want to see what recommendations there are to increase their safety / knowledge and stop fire spread. I do have some guidance but it is limited in its content.
Like the robot in the film short circuit - I need input!!

Offline Fishy

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 09:33:10 AM »
Yes Lyle but remember last year two workers died when the wind turbine they were working on caught fire.
Yes, and when personnel are present and working on the kit this can result in increased fire risk (hot works, altering electrical kit etc, etc...)

Offline Fire Monkey

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 08:21:45 AM »
I dealt with a building with its own wind turbine. The manager of the site had not service it since its installation and it broke apart in high winds. This did not cause a fire but it did make me think that this was a possibility - so are non industrial turbines being properly serviced up and down the country?