Author Topic: Communal Area FRA  (Read 3898 times)

Offline James Farmer

Communal Area FRA
« on: August 31, 2017, 08:48:21 AM »

Hi

When undertaking fire risk asssessments in purpose built flats you take into consideration the fire stopping, compartmentation etc of the lobby's & protected stairways.

My question is determining the fire resistance of the walls & ceilings where required especially where stay put policies are in force and rely on it.

Apart from the obvious breaches of their integrity would the only way to be 100% certain to recommend a survey be carried out?

Or in reality if there are no obvious signs of penetration and the walls are of normal construction would this be sufficient for an assessor and a survey only need be recommended if numerous deficiencies are picked up.

Many Thanks

Offline nearlythere

Re: Communal Area FRA
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 12:36:41 PM »
James. You can only survey what you see without making holes in walls and ceilings. But you should really say in the report that the survey is not intrusive and if they want otherwise this would entail potentially a lot of damage throughout. I usually give service shafts a good going over and certainly the bottom of service shafts where pipework and cabling exits plant rooms and UG car parks.
What many assessors don't do is poke theirs heads above suspended ceiling. Probably because they carry neither step ladder nor torch.

We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Glen1938

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 01:06:23 PM »
Check out what it says in Colin's purpose built blocks of flats guide, and then be clear in your scope what it is you are, and aren't including in your assessment. If the assessment is purely non-destructive and following assessment you think it reasonable, recommend a follow-up compartmentation survey.

Offline James Farmer

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 01:57:28 PM »
That's what I thought and how I have gone about things in the past!

In light of recent events I wasn't sure how far you were expected to go in determine factors but it makes sense in the replies so thanks for them.

James