Author Topic: Compartmentalisation and sleeping accomodation  (Read 7568 times)

Offline Fire Monkey

Compartmentalisation and sleeping accomodation
« on: October 18, 2017, 08:44:35 AM »
Hello,

I have seen a building with sleeping accommodation (single person rooms) along a corridor in a larger building (all one occupation). There are defects in the walls around the  building that include small holes (1/2cm diameter) where wires have been passed through, larger holes (5cm wide) and in the sleeping area the walls and between the rooms and the escape corridor have not been finished on both sides. The effect of this is that the walls will provide 30 minute protection instead of 60 minutes if the plasterboard walls met the ceiling on the other side. The Architects initial response to this to say that none of the walls separating the rooms used for sleeping are fire compartment ones and all of the rooms are in one compartment and so fire sealing the individual room is not necessary (they accept though that walls between fire compartments do need to be complete).

Compartmentalisation and compartments - to me these are separate things. Compartments are the areas that might be 60 min fire rated that for the structure of the building and protect staircases and would be part of building safety as well as fire safety. Compartmentalisation is different and would be concerned with all the other walls, ceilings and floors that might affect the means of escape and breaches would need to be fire stopped. Is there a different terminology I should be using?

So does sleeping accommodation always have to have 60 mins, in the room itself, and along the escape route?

FM

Offline Fire Monkey

Re: Compartmentalisation and sleeping accomodation
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 09:40:45 AM »
Sorry - forgot to ask under what circumstances might a building need to be sub-divided into fire protected areas - for sleeping accommodation what criteria should be considered.

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 08:15:09 PM »

I'm assuming from your discrption that the sleeping accommodation is similar to a hotel. If that is the case then the corridor should be protected by 30 fire resistance and there is no requirement to fire resist between the rooms.

There should be an L2 alarm with simultaneous evacuation.

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 10:10:27 PM »
compartmentalisation is not a recognised term.

compartmentation is.

flats are separated with compartment walls, hotels just have protected corridors.

Offline GB

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 03:02:51 PM »
Wee Brian, does that apply to Student Accommodation as well?

Offline Fire Monkey

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 04:10:57 PM »
What if its a fire station?

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 04:41:38 PM »
What if its a fire station?

It's still sleeping accommodations, the same principles apply

Sleeping accommodation on a fire station - Surely not.

Offline Messy

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 06:48:45 PM »
Back in my water squirting days, I asked my boss why we had 10 guys sleeping above a garage containing two HGVs each with petrol, electrics, and the building had two pole house shafts leading directly to the dormitory (via non fire doors) - all of this without a FRA (WP Regs days) and without any fire alarm system?

He answered we didn't need it as we are all firefighters!! (Not the sharpest tool in the box, but a tool nonetheless :) ) ::) :o

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 05:40:22 AM »
Back in my water squirting days, I asked my boss why we had 10 guys sleeping above a garage containing two HGVs each with petrol, electrics, and the building had two pole house shafts leading directly to the dormitory (via non fire doors) - all of this without a FRA (WP Regs days) and without any fire alarm system?

He answered we didn't need it as we are all firefighters!! (Not the sharpest tool in the box, but a tool nonetheless :) ) ::) :o

Quite right. Firefighters don?t burn.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Fire Monkey

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 06:55:10 PM »
So is a fire station like a hotel with no need to protect between individual dorms? Or should each bedroom be 30 min on each side?

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 10:02:42 PM »
So is a fire station like a hotel with no need to protect between individual dorms? Or should each bedroom be 30 min on each side

Best hotel I ever stayed in :)

Separate the purpose groups, protect the escape routes and provide detection. No need to provide separation between rooms.