Author Topic: Dry Powder extinguishers indoors - some recent observations  (Read 5563 times)

Offline John Webb

Dry Powder extinguishers indoors - some recent observations
« on: September 30, 2017, 10:47:10 PM »
I've just had a pleasant two weeks holiday in North Yorkshire, but kept seeing dry powder extinguishers indoors everywhere I went. This included several churches insured by the Ecclesiastical Insurance Office who asked churches to remove these extinguishers some 10 years ago! Anyone any idea why these extinguishers are so popular in that area?

(Also went into an Antiques centre - lovely condition c1970 Nuswift Carbon Tetrachloride extinguisher on display for sale, but when I picked it up I realised it was still fully charged! Went and politely explained to the centre owners the potential hazard to themselves and any purchaser; it was removed from display, I am pleased to say.)
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)

Offline nearlythere

Re: Dry Powder extinguishers indoors - some recent observations
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 05:20:08 PM »
I've just had a pleasant two weeks holiday in North Yorkshire, but kept seeing dry powder extinguishers indoors everywhere I went. This included several churches insured by the Ecclesiastical Insurance Office who asked churches to remove these extinguishers some 10 years ago! Anyone any idea why these extinguishers are so popular in that area?

(Also went into an Antiques centre - lovely condition c1970 Nuswift Carbon Tetrachloride extinguisher on display for sale, but when I picked it up I realised it was still fully charged! Went and politely explained to the centre owners the potential hazard to themselves and any purchaser; it was removed from display, I am pleased to say.)
Very popular in Rep of Ireland as well John. To the detriment of every other type from what I have seen. They were probably sold on the multi purpose chestnut.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
Re: Dry Powder extinguishers indoors - some recent observations
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 10:04:38 PM »
A couple of decades (or more) ago I would see in Yorkshire and rural areas of other counties (Castleton in Derbyshire being a particular example) where almost all the small businesses had ABC Powder extinguishers, usually from Nu Swift, sold due to being a single extinguisher 'Multy Purpose' [sic] solution (despite costing more than separate water & CO2 extinguishers combined from other suppliers)

Despite one of the usual arguments against products such as the P50 being the 'valuable advice and risk assessment' by the engineer there are a multitude of firms staff who will just replace an existing extinguisher like for like so that if it was 2 gallon water jet or 10lb Powder 40 years ago you still get a 9 litre water jet or 4kg Powder put in at the 5 year 'bin it' age today.

In many cases the 9 litre water jet is better replaced with 3 or 6 litre water spray and the powder could have a lot of replacements depending on the situation - but either through ignorance or laziness you see the same old type and size put in. Fortunately there are some firms that advise correctly off their own back, but often we have to be the ones pushing for it (or doing it).

There are lots of old full Nu Swift Vapourising Liquid extinguishers & spare charges from the 50' - 80's out there in the 4 'flavours' they produced (CTC; CBM; CBM/1.1.1.Trichloroethane mix; BCF) due to a very effective sales team -  a quality product for the time and most would still work and put out a fire. Loads of their kit on Farms (along with Minimax) and old small industrial and commercial premises.
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36