Author Topic: Ansul Manual Operation Procedures  (Read 4109 times)

Offline Messy

Ansul Manual Operation Procedures
« on: November 04, 2017, 09:55:11 AM »
Across our estate, we have several Ansul kitchen fire suppression systems.

Whilst talking to catering staff recently during a FRA review, they expressed concerns that our current procedure is not workable. The procedure says that where a fire on the range or deep frying equipment occurs, staff must raise the alarm, evacuate and operate the manual control to discharge the system as they leave. Its a simple no nonsense procedure which cannot be mis-understood. One of the aims of this procedure is to prevent staff being anywhere near the Ansul system when it operates as an initial pressure relates is noisy and can create a momentary fire ball ; for example as the extinguishing agent hits the burning oil

However kitchen staff told me that small fires in the vicinity of the cooking range are not unusual. A small spillage of oil ignites and is dealt with via a blanket, or a lid replaced on a pan that overheats. Statistics are not available as records of these events are not collected. Staff said they feel anxious about applying  the current procedure as they feel it is excessive and may land them in disciplinary difficulties for closing the restaurant - perhaps for 2 days.

I have searched the Tyco, Ansul websites and across other systems via Google but cannot find any useable guidance

So if you have an Ansul kitchen suppression system, what guidance do you give your staff? Is there any benchmark guidance out there?

I have never been a jobsworth/pedantic sort of practitioner (despite what Colin might believe!!!), but I feel the current Ansul guidance I have provided ticks H&S boxes but is not relevant to the everyday business as usual situation that exists. I really do need to approach this issue more realistically and would appreciate any experiences of views here

Thanks

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
Re: Ansul Manual Operation Procedures
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 10:08:34 PM »
In the US their NFPA standards are that the fixed system is the primary method of attack and that the K Class portable extinguisher is strictly for back up only. (Their codes are also more strict on the use of fixed systems and so they are far more common than in the UK)

In practice though I would suspect many establishments would hold off from using the full system for 'minor' flare ups, I've seen one example where they used makeshift methods, moving onto an ABC Powder and then a BC Powder (Purple K) to deal with a flare up in a run of grease in the foil liner at the back of a griddle.

Does every fire need a full dump of wet chemical or water mist from a fixed system - possibly not, there would be some a pan lid, blanket or extinguisher may deal with, but the difficulty is in ensuring staff know when to dump the system and when it may be OK to use other means

Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

Offline Messy

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 03:14:37 PM »

Does every fire need a full dump of wet chemical or water mist from a fixed system - possibly not, there would be some a pan lid, blanket or extinguisher may deal with, but the difficulty is in ensuring staff know when to dump the system and when it may be OK to use other means

And therein lays my problem Anthony. I would not want to be under an Ansul system when it fired as the shock and potential fireball ain't nice. I am surprised Ansul/Tyco don't say when to and when not to pull the manual control as it does not seem to be in their user manuals.

With respect to the catering staff, I am not keen on letting them assess when to go, nor do I want a run away and dump the Ansul every time procedure. I will have to try and find some middle ground. As the systems are primarily to keep fire from the ducting and house the fusible links above head height, I suppose guidance should be if the fire/flames are the height of your head, then you should walk away and operate the system.

Offline Fishy

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 08:37:10 AM »
Perhaps advise that if a 'small' fire cannot be extinguished at the first attempt (using blankets or a single fire extinguisher) then the fixed system ought to be activated etc, etc..

Offline Mr. P

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 01:55:52 PM »
Maybe size does matter after all? Size of protected area. Size of fire flare ups etc. Also, how/where is the Ansul system is designed/installed to protect. Regular thorough cleaning regime would reduce oil/fats etc. available as fuel. More specific training for staff AND management. Management(RP) may need to be more proactive by deciding at what sizes of fire they are willing to let be attempted to extinguish before opening ansul. Kitchen time lost reducing income will be a factor against loss of equipment, premises or life.
The training is key; not overfilling or over use of oils/fats. having correct lids etc. on equipment i.e. deep fryers, lids for pans (fire blanket handy), ...
Step 1 - cover, 2 power/heat source off, 3 fire blanket/portable extinguisher - if in doubt/fire still spreading - pull the ansul and get out ensuring the big red thing has been called.
Consideration should also be given to any extract fan system for hoods, filters and ducting and, it's fire rating if any. (link with cleaning regime) ...

Offline Messy

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 06:52:15 PM »
Many thanks for the replies.

I now have an idea for a simple common sense procedure (and training) that should better support the catering teams.