Author Topic: Using FRA  (Read 2371 times)

Offline lyledunn

Using FRA
« on: July 17, 2019, 08:54:30 AM »
I am developing a relatively small extension to a large pub / restaurant which will allow an extra 74 persons. The building has three final exits two of which are 900mm while the other is 1050mm. If we discount the larger exit, each of the two remaining exits would accommodate around 110 people giving a total occupancy of 220.
The 98 page FRA undertaken by a reputable company has loads of good stuff in it, mostly available anyway in the DCLG Guide. I referred to it as I wanted to establish if the existing exit arrangement would remain suitable for the additional 74. However, apart from the usual tick box response to the suitability of exits,  there was no justification for the total occupancy declared in the FRA of 380.
Local Council has accepted this occupancy and have given an entertainment licence based on 380.
I fear my proposed extension may be doomed! If I push ahead with it and present it to LABC then I would be obliged to point out this apparent error on occupancy. My client would not be well pleased as he would likely end up with no extension and a dramatic reduction on existing numbers.

Offline kml

Re: Using FRA
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 10:25:49 AM »
Without the previous risk assessor providing information on where the 380 came from  its difficult to second guess. The 2008 version of BS 9999 allowed the cast of Ben Hur (including chariots and horses) through a  900MM door. This anomaly was corrected in the 2017 version which brings the numbers permitted closer to DCLG figures and BS 5588. This may well be where the inflated figure comes from. I would have expected this to be noticed by the FRS or the council at annual renewal. Councils are requesting that FRA's are reviewed annually by a competent person, again this should have been an opportunity to catch this. I think your client will have to bite the bullet and speak to the council and FRS about occupancy numbers, obviously he is not at fault but he is still the responsible person under the legislation. I would agree with your figure of 220 as it stands now.

Offline lancsfirepro

Re: Using FRA
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 10:46:07 AM »
Sounds to me that your risk assessor has gone off the exit capacities in the DCLG and made a couple of mistakes with numbers and not discounting the largest exit.
Mention your concerns to your risk assessor and get the capacity correctly recorded.