Author Topic: Outward opening flat entrance doors?  (Read 3098 times)

Offline Suttonfire

Outward opening flat entrance doors?
« on: July 16, 2018, 01:43:25 PM »
Can anyone advise whether there is a building regs requirement for them to open inwards in a block of flats (doors to the flats - not the communal entrance)?

The potential H&S hazards associated with a flat door opening outwards into the common parts are obvious but I wondered whether this was confirmed in approved guidance etc.

Offline Fishy

Re: Outward opening flat entrance doors?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 06:53:00 AM »
Domestic front doors normally open inwards because a) it suits the lock ironmongery (rim latches etc); b) they're easier to open when you're laden with shopping; c) the hinges are on the secure side of the door - less vulnerable to attack (e.g. removing the pins to defeat the lock).... there must be other reasons, I would imagine.  There is no fire safety-related guidance that I know of that recommends inward-opening, but I don't know whether there is other guidance that does.

Offline GM

Re: Outward opening flat entrance doors?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 12:07:30 AM »
If they opened outwards then I assume that they would potentially be opening across a circulation space which would mean that you would need to provide
guarding to prevent somebody from being hit by the front door -Part M disabled. It is mainly the practicalities that prevent it happening