Author Topic: Exit capacity  (Read 2749 times)

Offline lyledunn

Exit capacity
« on: September 21, 2018, 07:20:27 AM »
I am just trawling for some opinions on this one. I have a propose large function room on the fifth floor of a building that is to undergo change of use and is to be completely refurbished head to toe. The function room would easily accommodate 600+ using accepted floor space factors but exit capacity is shown for just over half of that. This is mostly due to design constraints But it worries me and it worries BC who are currently asking how numbers will be managed. I have seen so-called robust management systems cave to commercial pressure, especially around Christmas and the like.

Offline ahmedh

Re: Exit capacity
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 10:17:03 AM »
The limiting factor for accommodation is the exit capacity.

As part of the QDR process and development of fire strategy you would want the RP to confirm the maximum capacity and management thereof. this should include how entry will be controlled, identifying numbers at any time, providing adequate staffing levels for steward purposes and inform police/fire service numbers on demand.

I expect max numbers will also be in the fire risk assessment.

Will this be a licenced premise?

You haven't mentioned exit width nor number of exits. Would expect at least two.

Beyond that, don't see that you can do much. Due to material change have FRS been consulted yet?

Offline lyledunn

Re: Exit capacity
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 12:38:30 PM »
Thank you ahmedh. Recognised floor space factors are clearly being ignored with reliance being placed on the management system. The premises will be licensed. I don't have much faith in such systems within the entertainment industry / licensed trade. I have seen them trampled time and time again. Basing required exit capacity on widely accepted floor space factors seems much better than providing exit capacity on stipulated numbers when those numbers could be exceeded by some margin. FRS have not been consulted. 9999 is the base document. Coming up with some arbitrary number just to suit the amount of money you want to spend on escape routes is not, in my opinion, good fire safety.