Author Topic: Travel distance  (Read 2898 times)

Offline lyledunn

Travel distance
« on: October 23, 2018, 08:14:28 AM »
According to Table 11 BS 9999 2017 one way TD for a hotel (c2) is 9m and 2way is 18m. A note below the table indicates that for 2way the distance can be measured from the threshold of the bedroom door. The implication is that one way is to be measured from the furthest point in the bedroom. One way TD would be almost impossible to achieve in all but smallest of rooms with a protected stair almost beside them. I have no issue with that, but I just wanted assurance that I was reading this properly.

Offline lyledunn

Re: Travel distance
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 10:56:11 AM »
Guys, I really would appreciate your opinion on this. I can find no one who can give me a response in building control

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 01:06:31 PM »

Whilst I can't answer the question with any authority, I would suggest it should read the distance can be measured from the threshold.

Why use 9999 when ADB Table 2 gives you 9m in the bedroom and then 9 single direction and 35m two direction.

Offline lyledunn

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 03:31:31 PM »
Thank you DD. The thing is that 9999 travels. We operate all over UK and each country of this supposed United Kingdom has different building regs with respect to fire safety.
This particular building uses 9999 to claim compliance with Building Regs so can't really cherry pick. It may be that a mistake has been made in the note to the table or that 9999 is against one way travel from hotel bedrooms.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 09:16:47 AM »
I always thought that a new build used one of the official guides (ADB or BS 9999/BS 5588 or BS 7974) and that's the guide you use for the life of the building unless you redesign the whole of the building, otherwise that is cherry picking which is frowned upon?
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 11:40:05 PM »
Lyle, You read BS 9999 too much.  I thought you had learned your lesson with the narrow exit doors in nightclubs etc that would let a zillion people through and then they realized that this was rubbish and changed it dramatically (but quietly) in the next version.  Stop using it and use something sensible.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline lyledunn

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 08:43:52 AM »
You might be right MrT ! If you have a suggestion as to an alternative that is acceptable in the 4 corners, I would be up for looking at it. I am not so sure that the Technical Handbook would be acceptable in in sworn enemy territory. It might get a more sympathetic eat in this neck of the woods given our common Gaelic blood. Must ask the man from del monte in Belfast BC when I meet him today!