Author Topic: Evacuator Sitemaster Push Button Site Alarm  (Read 1832 times)

Offline BB

Evacuator Sitemaster Push Button Site Alarm
« on: October 21, 2018, 02:49:55 PM »
I recently inspected a single storey workshop which repaired furniture etc. It comprises of a high bay modern warehouse, travel distance is acceptable in two directional escape, 9 employees in the workshop, medium risk and good house-keeping.

They currently have fitted Evacuator Sitemaster Push Button Site Alarms at each final exit.

As these are battery operated only and used as a temporary measure they would not normally be ideal or accepted, however rotary gongs or shout ?FIRE? would suffice within this building.

They have been quoted ?900.00 to fit an electrical fire alarm manual system, detection in the access room (not practical) and visual/audible warning in the spray booth.

My question is would you accept these with the above mitigating factors and allow them to be interlinked with a sounder or Evacuator Sitemaster fitted within an inner room spray booth which is used occasionally and always with people working within the main workshop access room.

I know its non-compliant but my thoughts are: subject to no materials alterations and work processes, this would achieve early warning and therefore be considered satisfactory, rather spending ?900.00 for a BS5839 system.

Your thoughts please and in anticipation many thanks
Save a little money each month and at the end of the year you'll be surprised at how little you have :)

Offline John Webb

Re: Evacuator Sitemaster Push Button Site Alarm
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 08:16:54 PM »
If they are repairing woodwork, are there any noisy processes going on (such as sawing or planing) where they might be wearing ear defenders and the present systems - and manual gongs or shouts of 'Fire!' - might not be audible? If so, a better system might be needed including visual beacons in addition to the spray booth?
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)