Author Topic: Fire alarm system in flats.  (Read 1951 times)

Offline nearlythere

Fire alarm system in flats.
« on: January 25, 2019, 07:27:20 PM »
Wonder if someone might be able to help. Caught a glimpse of a document a few weeks ago which made reference to FAS in blocks of flats. Can?t for the life of me remember where I saw it but I do remember a reference to the provision of a MCP at the point of entrance for use by the Fire Service should it want to evacuate the building. Anyone help?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Fishy

Re: Fire alarm system in flats.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 01:12:04 PM »
It sounds similar in concept to the "stay put has failed" alarm system that has been discussed for flats in response to Grenfell, but I'm not aware of any documentation on the subject.  Having it activated by a call point (presumably accessible to everyone, unless it's in an FB-keyed box or similar) sounds like a recipe for trouble!

Offline SeaBass

Re: Fire alarm system in flats.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 01:34:45 PM »
This is a full building evacuation facility for installation in blocks of flats that are designed to support a stay put fire alarm response. I beleive that discussions areung this concept are further ahead in Scotland that they are in England/Wales, but various Housing providers are looking at this as an option.

First and foremost, if the building is designed, constructed and maintained in accordance with building regulations, then there is not need for such a system.  They should only be considered as an interim risk reduction measure, in place until the building can be brought back into compliance with the regulations/standards.

If they are installed, they should of course be available to F&RS personnel only. And in my opinion, it should be possible to evacuate the floor of fire origin and the floor above, and then escalate the evacuation floor by floor, prioritising those at greatest risk. 

In addition to installing such a system, it would need to be tested and serviced fairly regularly, which won't upset the occupants at all.  And then the F&RSs would need to be trained in the use of the system,  and arrangements would need to be implemented to ensure the safe evacuation of occupants with disabilities, small children or elderly relatives. This just would not be practical. Far better and safer to bring the building back into compliance with the building regs/standards.