Author Topic: Fire Safety in Timber Frame Construction (Construction Phase)  (Read 1938 times)

Offline GB

Fire Safety in Timber Frame Construction (Construction Phase)
« on: February 07, 2019, 03:44:34 PM »
Has anyone used guidance when reviewing developments using timber frame during construction?

I have reviewed STA guidance TB6 & UKTFA Design Guide to Separating Distances During Construction.

TB6 notes that notional boundaries may be a mid point of a roadway similar as BR 187 however do not elaborate on their use as a receiver point.

The timber kit manufacturer argues that the safe separating distance should be to the neighbouring building on the other side of the roadway i.e not the mid point although the site boundary is on the side of the road where the development is located.

The guidance is vague in terms of the receiver and what that can be. The figures only show neighbouring buildings, not mid-points of roads or footpaths which are out with the site boundary.

Any thoughts?

Offline GB

Re: Fire Safety in Timber Frame Construction (Construction Phase)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 03:50:07 PM »
To answer my own question and update the thread - I have copied a response by the STA if anyone is interested.

The control of fire spread for buildings in-service is covered by the building regulations and the guidance in Approved Document B which, in the specific case, defines the Relevant Boundary as being the midpoint of roads.  As you state, the principles are covered in BRE report BR187 and are primarily concerned with controlling fire spread between buildings for the intended service life of the building. 

The control of fire spread during the construction phase of timber buildings is covered in the STA?s guidance document ? Design guide to separating distances during construction (see attached) and the reference distance is the fa?ade of any building in close proximity to the building elevation under construction.  The focus of this document is life preservation and limiting damage to existing buildings close to the site boundary for the short period while the building is under construction until the in-service measures are in place.

The principles in BRE?s BR187 and the STA?s Design guide to separating distances are similar, but the reference points for calculating the relevant separation distances are different.

So the mid-point of the roadway is not the consideration point for safe separation distances during construction - only the distance to the actual neighbouring building despite the lack of external walls in the building under construction which would reduce radiated heat - doesn't seem logical to me!