Author Topic: Fire door hinges.  (Read 3602 times)

Offline nearlythere

Fire door hinges.
« on: February 23, 2019, 07:42:41 AM »
Anyone aware of a door hinge compliant with BSEN 1154?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Tom Sutton

Re: Fire door hinges.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 09:09:14 AM »
Looks like a mixup or typo, BS EN 1154:1997 Building Hardware ? Controlled Door Closing Devices. is for self closers, BS EN 1935: 2002: Building Hardware Single Axis Hinges is for single axis hinges.

Check out https://www.firesafe.org.uk/fire-door-fitting-and-ironmongery if your client needs it.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline Fishy

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 08:46:24 AM »
Anyone aware of a door hinge compliant with BSEN 1154?

As Tom quite rightly says, EN 1154 is the standard for 'controlled door closing devices', so the only type of hinges covered by this might be spring (single-action) or 'Bommer' (double-action) hinges?  I know of none that are EN 1154 compliant (& it's generally recommended that these shouldn't be used on fire resisting doorsets in any case).

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 09:35:26 AM »
Sorry people. Should have been more specific. Looking for self closing incorporated in a hinge which complies with BS EN 1154: Controlled door closing device. I have just come across this:- https://passivefireproducts.com/product/203-self-closing-fire-door-hinges but the supplier does not specifically say it complies with BS EN 1154. Anyone used these?

« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 09:38:48 AM by nearlythere »
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Fishy

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 11:27:03 AM »
Sorry people. Should have been more specific. Looking for self closing incorporated in a hinge which complies with BS EN 1154: Controlled door closing device. I have just come across this:- https://passivefireproducts.com/product/203-self-closing-fire-door-hinges but the supplier does not specifically say it complies with BS EN 1154. Anyone used these?

Never spec'd them.  They claim "BS EN 1154 (EN Power Size) categories 1 and 2, supporting doors of up to 48kg", but not that they actually comply in full with BS EN 1154 (perhaps just the 'power size' bit)?

In any case, if they are within the scope of EN 1154 - which is a 'harmonised' EN then it's actually illegal to place them on the market unless they comply and they carry the relevant CE mark and supporting documentation.  I do see a CE mark stamped on them, but it's not clear whether they're CE marked as hinges or door closers?  A Declaration of Performance (DoP) ought to be available which would clear all this up - steer well clear if it isn't!

Apart from all this standards nonsense - perhaps more important in safety terms is the last sentence under 'Product description'..."...Please note: the door closing speed is the highest at the point when the door is meeting the frame...".  I infer that this means they slam the door closed.  Finger-trapping risk & they're likely to be disabled by the user if that's the case - all the familiar issues with spring hinges that don't have a 'damped' closing action?

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 12:14:12 PM »
BS EN 1154 has a code of six characters for categories of use and you need all six to make an informed assessment. For instance catracter 4 is it suitable for fire/smoke stop doors, 0 no, 1 yes.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.