Author Topic: Building Regulations or Fire Risk Assessment.  (Read 3568 times)

Offline Dinnertime Dave

Building Regulations or Fire Risk Assessment.
« on: May 24, 2019, 11:00:42 PM »

The Approved Inspector we use for all our shop fits has asked for a copy of the Fire Risk Assessment before they will issue the final certificate. This is the first time they have ever done this and I haven't come across this approach before. They are also telling me, going forward, that they wish to see a physical copy of the FRA before they release the completion cert.

We normally carry out the FRA within a week of opening, mainly because it gives the assessor a true picture of how the shop will operate. This approach is documented in our Fire Risk Management Plan, which has been given assured advice status by our Primary Authority

Any view or observations welcome.

Offline lyledunn

Re: Building Regulations or Fire Risk Assessment.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 09:44:22 AM »
It is an interesting situation. Here in NI a MOU was signed with NIFRS such that BC would assess FRAs where premises have an entertainment licence. As I understand it, a revised agreement will require such premises to provide a full FRA every 3 years with annual reviews.
When we fit out these places or provide a brand new building, it is very common for the BC officer who will often be the licensing officer to request a copy of the FRA before a building regulation completion cert is issued. That creates difficulty as sometimes we may have added a room or constructed a building that is yet to be used but will hold hundreds of people. To get the intoxicating liquor licence for the room we need the BC cert, to get the BC cert we need the FRA. It is usually no problem but in some cases it is effectively a FRA on premises without a management system in place.
In any event, it is good to see fire safety top of the agenda!

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 06:29:18 PM »
Problem is that means you have to do 2 FRAs - one on an empty fitted out unit and another after a significant change, i.e. full of stock, generating waste, using equipment and being full of employees and other relevant persons.

Sounds more like a fire safety works snagging exercise, worthwhile but not an FRA.

Perhaps another AI is in order!
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 10:52:03 PM »
Sounds more like a fire safety works snagging exercise, worthwhile but not an FRA.

Not just me that thinks that then.

As you say the problem is it has just doubled the cost of the FRA - On about 25 new shops a year.

Offline Fishy

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 07:30:14 AM »
Pretty fundamental that you can't carry out a meaningful 'in use' fire risk assessment before occupation - it would be a document that would probably be immediately outdated upon occupation.

We sometimes provide fire safety input into the designers' risk assessment prepared under CDM, & I think asking to see that would be entirely legitimate.

Offline John Webb

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 08:46:06 PM »
I'd much agree with Fishy's assessment. As I've always understood things, Building Regs ensure that the building is safe to occupy at the start and only when it is in use can you carry out the FRA to ensure people's activities don't endanger themselves or anyone else using the building!
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)