Author Topic: Number of Stewards at an indoor event  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Growler

Number of Stewards at an indoor event
« on: July 09, 2019, 11:44:15 PM »
Is anyone aware what or even if there is a recommended ratio of stewards to audience for say an indoor pop concert
I have tried Purple / Green guides, CLG but cannot find any reference to this, other then "sufficient number of competent and adequately trained attendants to cover emergency etc". The questions been ask of me in relation to fire evacuation.

Offline lyledunn

Re: Number of Stewards at an indoor event
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 06:17:13 PM »
Any that I am involved with we have to produce a comprehensive risk assessment for presentation to enforcing officer. Each situation wold merit individual consideration as there would be too many variables to set a fixed ratio. We have 9000 or so at an open air event shortly. Last year all went smoothly with around 40 professional security personnel and a number of volunteers. Every weekend we have around 1000 at an indoor event with 10 security staff. It also runs relatively smooth. I am involved with another event which will be a monthly gig aimed at the student fraternity with around 1500. The risk assessment carried out by top dude fire engineer well- respected and experienced in the entertainment side of things. He has posted 10 security staff at various locations but in this latter case one of the escape routes is a tad more complicated.

Offline Growler

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 08:57:36 PM »
Hi lyledunn,
Thanks, for the reply which confirms that I have not missed the obvious while searching for a recommended ratio as such.
CLG guidance therefore appears to be the guidance I can direct the management too, i.e  "sufficient number of competent and adequately trained attendants"  the final  ratio being  determined by risk assessment based upon the event and type of the audience.
Thanks again.

Offline Growler

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 07:19:56 PM »
I have just remembered where I had seen guidance on this, I knew I had seen it somewhere, it's in the The Guide to Fire Precautions in Existing Places of Entertainment etc better know as the 'Primrose Guide' of course no longer valid  in the world of risk assessment but at least I can now stop searching.