Author Topic: Two Storey Sheltered Housing Flatted Block  (Read 3618 times)

Offline gor810

Two Storey Sheltered Housing Flatted Block
« on: January 23, 2020, 11:35:34 PM »
Looking for some information please.

I have come across a two storey sheltered housing block of domestic flats which has been in existence for some 40 years. Yes 40 years.Originally built in 1979 the building has remained relatively unaltered except for the odd internal coat of paint and general maintenance of the premises.

My question relates to purpose built and designed openings in the floor slab between the ground and first floor levels in the premises. The main opening in the reception area of the premises is akin to that of a large well which is protected at first floor level by a fenced enclosure and balustrade. Three other smaller openings also exist which are also guarded at first floor level but open to the ground floor.

Can anyone shed any light as to why these openings exist and what purpose they serve? The openings are akin to small atriums or wells.

Ventilation of the first floor corridor is poor and the area is lacking in any form of either automatic or manually operated vents.

Any advice or information would be appreciated.

Offline Owain

Re: Two Storey Sheltered Housing Flatted Block
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 08:11:58 PM »
Are they for passing furniture or coffins through?

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 10:24:09 PM »
If I am reading your discription correctly they are there to allow light through. The housing association I worked owned couple of blocks like this, but they were occupied by another company who provided extra care. At some point they glazed them over with Georgian wired glass.

Offline gor810

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 06:36:45 PM »
Thanks Dinnertime Dave and Owain. Yes they could be used for passing things through I suppose but more than likely as you say they certainly admit a lot of light  to the first floor.

Thanks for your views on this which are appreciated.