Author Topic: BS 9992 - Fire safety in the design, management and use of rail infrastructure  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Fishy

I'm not sure how many Forum members get involved in railway-related work, but if you do then in May of this year there was an important new standard issued.  It's the first time (in the UK) where we've had something that gives comprehensive guidance on this subject.

https://shop.bsigroup.com/ProductDetail?pid=000000000030370289

Just as a matter of interest, there's been a lot of discussion (after the Grenfell tragedy) on smoke and toxicity of construction products (e.g. PIR insulation), and I think I'm right in saying that this is the only national fire safety guidance that has dealt with that issue.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
here is a thought about toxicity of combustion products. Smoke and fire gases are nasty things, and it is best to make sure people are not exposed to them.  But I suppose that's too simple?
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline Fishy

here is a thought about toxicity of combustion products. Smoke and fire gases are nasty things, and it is best to make sure people are not exposed to them.  But I suppose that's too simple?

...one of the fundamentals of fire safety, I'd say, but not always possible where the occupants and the fire share the same space.  Personally I'd regard it as a bit of a red herring in most type of occupancy... what's the point in going to great lengths to control the properties of construction products knowing that the occupants will fill it with stuff that might be far more hazardous?

Railway infrastructure is a bit different - particularly tunnels and sub-surface stations - and is one of the places where the maintenance of low fire load (and control over the reaction-to-fire properties of the products installed) is reasonable and practicable (if slightly costly).  All began after the King's Cross Fire and the Fennell Report.