Author Topic: Measuring Dynamic Pressure in a Sprinkler System  (Read 1835 times)

Offline GB

Measuring Dynamic Pressure in a Sprinkler System
« on: November 21, 2022, 03:44:57 PM »
First of all, let me apologise if this is not the correct forum - i am simply keen for input and in fact keen to be told I am incorrect and educated in my thought process.

I am in the sprinkler industry (Domestic) and have for years completed flow and pressure tests on our systems with our working practices ratified by 3rd party accreditation providers. We use a flow meter to determine the flow rate and the pressure gauge on the valve set to measure the flow / dynamic pressure which many companies within the industry also do. We throttle back the valve set to the design point pressure e.g 1.6bar and take the flow meter reading at that point.

Today I am of the opinion that this is incorrect.

I don't believe a standard valve set pressure gauge can measure dynamic pressure - only static pressure in my opinion.

I believe that to calculate the dynamic pressure of water in a sprinkler system, we need to use Bernoulli's law:

Dynamic Pressure (Pascals) = 0.5 x (density of fluid x velocity squared)

I am aware that there are an awful lot of people on this forum who are far more educated than I am - could you please tell me if I am wrong in my thought process?