Author Topic: Switch gear and storage  (Read 2066 times)

Offline johno12345

Switch gear and storage
« on: October 14, 2021, 04:16:04 PM »
Another musing of mine.

If there is a room that contains low voltage switchgear, provided that its accessible and in good condition, then there really isn't any bigger risk of fire compared to a distribution board on a wall in a factory.

I'd say as long as there is no hazardous substances being stored, then its ok for a room to contain switch gear, as well as some well organised storage.

I always remember being asked 'is this a switch room, or a store room', however.

Secondly, is there any legislation about 11kV transformer rooms not being used to store items? I know you cant be in the same confines as 11kV equipment, but if its behind a fence, so inaccessible,. It just doesn't feel quite right...

Offline lyledunn

Re: Switch gear and storage
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 06:30:13 PM »
Pet hate of mine having a dedicated switch room used as a store. As you say providing it is well organised then likely fine. However, switchgear can be damaged by stored items and may impede access. EAW regs 1989 require safe access!
Obviously if switchgear is in a room where ceiling is damaged or proper sealing has not been carried out then adding unnecessary fire load is just plain stupid.
I always advise removal of stored materials, combustible or otherwise, from switch rooms. Areas around sub-distribution equipment should be arranged to minimise damage-to equipment, tripping hazards in accessing live parts and of course, minimising any risk from fire and it?s spread beyond the room / area in question.

Offline johno12345

Re: Switch gear and storage
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 07:55:05 AM »
I would say its suitably distant from the switchgear, but still in the same room. There is clear access all the way round and you could rack stuff out without a problem, just wanted to discuss it really.

Its away from the main site, so not going to spread to that if there was a fire