THE REGULATORY REFORM (FIRE SAFETY) ORDER 2005 > Q & A

Repositioning of Fire door

(1/1)

Collegeboy:
Opinions on this please, Have a builder who has been requested to reposition a set of double fire doors approx 10ft, at present, the existing doors lead to a staircase from 1st floor offices, however, in front of the doors (within the staircase enclosure, is a single office and a small breakout kitchen, dishwasher, microwave, kettle, fridge,) doors are being moved so the office/kitchen are behind the doors so nothing in the staircase enclosure, builder thinks no need for fire wall above door to underside of roof as suspended ceiling will protect, ?? dont sound right to me as any fire from kitchen could jump over doors  ???  Thoughts ?

AnthonyB:
Is it a fire rated suspended ceiling installation (the whole assembly not just individual tiles) and is there evidence to prove beyond reasonable doubt that it is?

Fire doors are of little use if they are bypassed by hidden voids, if in doubt I'd stop it.

I wonder if the builder forgot to include void stopping in his budget, gave an inclusive price quote and doesn't want to absorb the extra cost?

Collegeboy:
Thanks Anthony,
my thoughts exactly, putting a fire door in for compartmentation with no fire break above is like putting a pony wall in, no point, was just wondering if there were any caveats I might be missing,
cheers

lyledunn:
I would have thought this warranted a BC application?!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version