Author Topic: Bradford football stadium fire  (Read 1760 times)

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
Bradford football stadium fire
« on: March 02, 2023, 02:46:23 AM »
A new series of Podcasts over the next few weeks, starting today, on the Bradford City fire in 1985. Many working in fire safety were probably not around at the time, but it was a tragic and horrendous fire, which was probably the first fire disaster broadcast live to a horrified nation.

There were 56 deaths, 11 of which were people under 18, with 23 over 65 years, the oldest of which was 86.

It had major ramifications in terms of a somewhat rushed 5 day duration Inquiry, legislative changes, precedent for successful civil action against the FRS (and the club of course), with lessons about human behaviour, fire safety management and preparedness for fire.

Not sure I will believe the unfolding conspiracy theories, but people can make up their own minds about those.

A reminder of another major fire disaster that we should never forget.

900 Degrees on Apple Podcasts

You can listen on Apple, Spotify, or wherever you download your podcasts.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline Messy

Re: Bradford football stadium fire
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 12:05:50 AM »
Thanks for that Colin.

I know my youthful looks say the opposite, but I was in the fire game then, however on holiday on the west coast of Scotland - and definitely not tuning into the news. But I caught a glimpse of the Sunday newspapers at my hotel and my first thoughts were "I wonder what country that happened in?". I was shocked to see it was the UK.

Disasters in residential homes, hotels and the London Underground are of course tragic, but the potential is always there. But an open fronted football stadium with 101 exits routes at the back??? I didnt see that one coming.

I have never listened to a podcast or know how to access one but I might break the rule for this.

Offline Bill J

• http://www.Bill-J.co.uk
Re: Bradford football stadium fire
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 09:00:17 AM »
Thanks for the "heads up" Colin,

I remember it well, I was 20 years old, had just finished my electrical apprenticeship and was installing a 64 Zone conventional Fire Alarm in nice shiny pyro when this happened, It was in a rather posh banking hall and sorting house and was taking a while to do properly.

That Monday was the first week where I did not get grief for the time & disruption.

Bill