Author Topic: Proposal 4 new type of Com-Air+Water "Mixer" Nozzle for firefighting!  (Read 13704 times)

Offline Windigo1

I've shared this idea with several technology and Firefighting companies like Firetactics.com and ifextechnologies.com and hey don't seem to think it has any market as a firefighting device.Just the same I'd like to present it here in this forum and hopefully get some opinions and fedback on it!

Thanks
Kenny Hawley

The basic idea is this: Water pumped through a standard fire-hose can be changed or diverted by the hose-nozzle(s) into a strong stream of water or into a fine spray.The pressure in the hose coming out at the nozzle is regulated solely by the water pressure behind it.
What I thought was what if you "mix" the flowing fire-hose water right at or near the nozzle with "Pressurized Air"? What I mean is to use an "air compressor" like you see at construction sites that are use to operate jack-hammers etc.,use this "Compressed Air" to help "push" the fire-hose water not only farther out but also create more than a mist but a large "Water Fog",that when aimed into a building or airplane fire etc. would quickly "fill up" the whole space with a penetrating and fire-dousing "Water Fog"!
Whats needed in research and development is to create a fire-hose nozzle that will "mix" the water and "Compressed Air" finely enough to create a diffuse fir fighting "Water Fog"!
I've worked with "air compressors" in construction using jack-hammers an for power cleaning etc. so I know hjow powerful that blast of air they produce can be.If you mix that powerful blast of air with a stream of water it can really produce and send out a far reaching spray or a water fog tha can fill up a room or any large space in minutes.This new  nozzle would be something on the description of a a bulbous,elongated nozzle with a screw-shaped interior  to twirl and mix together the seperate air and water hoses.

Also this idea of mixing water and compressed air in a fire hose nozzle might also be employed in the same fashion,to help energize and diffuse "foam sprays" more effetively!

That my basic idea-invention that I've been thinking about for a number of years.Please let me know if you think it has any merit?

Kenny Hawley
Vancouver Canada

Offline Ashley Wood

• http://www.thermatech.uk.com
Proposal 4 new type of Com-Air+Water "Mixer" Nozzle for firefighting!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 10:47:28 AM »
There is a company based in germany called FOGTEC. They have produced a Fog Gun system used for fire fighting. This has been adopted by many fire departments around the world.

www.fogtec.com

Best regards

Ashley Wood

Offline BCM

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 09:21:18 PM »
Kenny, I'm not an expert on hydraulics but if you introduce compressed air into the water stream before the nozzle won't the air expand on leaving the nozzle causing a sort of crackling noise and disrupting the jet stream?  Isn't the nozzle discharge rate dependant on the size of the nozzle and the pressure applied to the water?

Offline Apollo_SG

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 06:59:41 AM »
The Singapore Fire Service also has similar fog guns, and even adapters to the riser mains.

Btw Kenny, I also own a patent and one thing about that is that you do not float your ideas around. The word to describe is called "Inventive Steps".

Once you expose the idea, it is no more inventive and any claim that you suggest would render the patent invalid.

Offline Ashley Wood

• http://www.thermatech.uk.com
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 03:42:29 PM »
There is a company in Germany called Fogtec who produce a 100 bar fog system. This has been installed on trucks world wide. The Singapore Fire Authority copied the Fogtec unit & there is nothing they can do about it over there. Have a look at there web site www.fogtec.com . I have seen it fitted to all sizes of truck including very small hatch back cars and other vehicles i.e 4x4s