Author Topic: RRO Guides  (Read 8394 times)

P GUTHARD

RRO Guides
« on: September 15, 2005, 10:53:40 AM »
Hi all just wondered if anyone knows when the guidance docs for the new RRO are out, and does anyone have any drafts knocking about as I am in the process of re-writing my assessment templates
Regards
Paul

moderator Fire Saftey

RRO Guides
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 01:39:47 PM »
A suite of 11 guidance documents targetted at diferent premises types will be published in January 2006. (From ODPM). Have not seen any drafts.

pd

RRO Guides
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 05:28:43 PM »
Several, (well three or four) are currently doing the rounds of a targeted consultation following drafting by BRE. Times scales are slipping a bit but no-one is strating to panic just yet.

BRE and the ODPM are coming up against the same problems that have dogged these guides for ages. How do you cover all bases but maintain a size that makes them usuable by the ordinary responsible person. The initial guide is being used as a template but as various parties make amendments to their sector specific guides this sometimes means that the earlier guides have to be re-visited. This iterative process is causing lots of problems.

The guides will introduce some newish concepts (firefighting lifts for disabled evacuation, BRAC didn't think of it first!!) and the travel distances are hugely simplified and presented as guidelines rather than prescriptive. They are much more readable than existing guides and work really hard to avoid techno speak and jargon. (However, latest amendments from trade have tended to re-introduce BS this and EN that).

If they are all ready in January 2006, I'll eat my hat.

Offline Brian Catton

RRO Guides
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 10:30:46 PM »
I have seen the Healthcare Guide. It is supposed to be written for the lay person to interpret and is a mixture of the Res Homes guide the Employers guide and HTMs. It is not appropriate in my opinion to just mix up several docs then expect someone to interpret them. Why we need a Healthcare guide when the new Fire Code 05 is being produced I do not know. This guide and the new HTM 05:02 functional guidance (to replace HTM 81 and 85) can be seen on the NAHFO web site  http://www.nahfo.org/ I understand thet the BRE who produced the doc for the ODPM are meeting the DOH to reconsider the Guide. January?? I don't think so. Well not 2006.