Author Topic: What min and max height wall mounted FA sounders can be located.  (Read 6502 times)

Offline Tom Sutton

A question I have been asked and I am not sure of an answer

I am writing as an architect of a Health Club.

I would like to know between what heights can wall mounted voice /
sounder evacuation speakers be installed at? I am trying to coordinate the
speakers with other elements on a feature wall within our gym.

Thank you for your help, I look forward to your response.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline Martin Burford

• http://none
What min and max height wall mounted FA sounders can be located.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 08:55:50 PM »
Hello

as far as i'm aware there is no specified height for sounders/ excepting the fact that they must be heard over the normal noise levels in the building.  it is recommended that sounders should produce a level of 500Hz-1000 Hz, unless the frequency of background noise would mask that. all soundrers within the building should have similar charaxterists, unless particular conditions prevail, making this unacceptable. in buildings where noise levels exceed 80dB, eg music....it should be muted automatically when a fire alarm signal is given,  for voice alarm sounders see BS 5839.8...............hope this helps....Conqueror.

Offline Ashley Wood

• http://www.thermatech.uk.com
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 08:59:51 PM »
My experience of health clubs is that a lot of users of the club use portable CD players, etc. with ear phones. This may make the fire alarm sounders hard to hear especially if the wearer was in a sauna/steam/sun bed room. The extra cost to make sounders both audible and visual i. e sounder/beacons is small and well worth it. If a member is using there personal hi-fi they will see the light bouncing off mirrors, etc. It may be worth considering an IP rated xenon for the steam/sauna rooms.

Regards

Ashley

Graeme

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 01:05:11 PM »
Then the 2.1m min from floor would apply.