Author Topic: preparation of fire plans under the RR(FS)O  (Read 12167 times)

Offline Ashley Wood

• http://www.thermatech.uk.com
preparation of fire plans under the RR(FS)O
« on: June 29, 2006, 02:27:56 PM »
I am getting a mixture of answers to the following question, perhaps you lads and lasses can give me your opinions?

Question: Will it be a requirement that a fire plan should still be produced for premises?

Offline jokar

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 07:46:34 PM »
No, to the requirement bit if RR(FS)O.  There is no absolute duty in the order for this.  Favourite answer, it depends on the premises and the risk assessment.  Engineered solution buildings may have one,  BS 5588 part 12 suggests it is a good idea, FRS's will probably want one for larger buildings but could not enforce it.

Offline Ashley Wood

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 09:59:37 AM »
Thanks Joker, You have confirmed what I believed to be the case but several 'I know more than you' clients have said that I was wrong. I thought I had better check with the font of knowledge in case I was in fact wrong!

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 12:08:29 PM »
what do you mean by a fire plan?

If we are talking scale drawings, rather like a fire cert then the answer is no. But it would be a handy way of recording things.

If you mean a plan for what to do in the event of a fire then the order does require one.

Offline Ashley Wood

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 12:24:29 PM »
Hi,

Plan of the building rather than instructions of what to do in the event of a fire.

Thanks

Ashley

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 10:43:39 AM »
not a requirement - but a good idea

Offline Paul

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 11:54:26 PM »
A good Idea but a subject we have explored at some length in the past.  

I agree a good idea, and I feel it is justified for larger more complex buildings, however, if it were a requirement that every premise must have a drawing / plan, the cost of producing such would be passed onto the end client.  Not something that would be well recieved for some of the smaller premises.

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 08:17:20 AM »
Absolutely. In many buildings a note saying - Fire alarms to BS5839 L1 or something like that is fine. It's not really necessary to draw up a plan showing where all the detectors are.

I know that some people felt this should be made a requirement but the scrutiny committee/ODPM chose not to.

Offline Redone

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 10:37:30 AM »
Hi Ashley, A belated reply, We've found it a very useful to produce a colour coded fire plan showing the staff in the care home the areas to evacuate if a fire occurs... x marks the spot - prioritise evac on the rooms all the same colour, plus the room above the incident room.  
Also added locations and types of fire equipment and escape routes, fire service access routes, lx/gas/water cut offs.

Single line drawn with 'Visio' A3 cost effective.