Author Topic: HTM05-01 refuges and IRMP  (Read 5107 times)

Offline pink

HTM05-01 refuges and IRMP
« on: July 14, 2006, 02:35:45 PM »
I'm a moving and handling advisor and I find HTN05-01 quite uncomfortable reading.

Assuming that the Fire and rescue service could use an IRMP to provide a lower level of initial response to a fire in a hospital does this mean that the refuges we have in our hospitals are not as safe as you would expect as the fire service may not get to the hospital in time to assist evacuation?

It goes on in the training section to say that staff involved in care of patients should receive more instruction but doesn’t refer to vertical evacuation training. Why has it not gone to level of fire response teams that are stipulated in Fire Safety Policy for NHSScotland?

Is the construction of our hospitals so good that we do not need to carry out regular vertical evacuation training?

Thinking about it do the fire service regularly practice carrying patients who may be to unwell for normal lifting techniques down stairs just in case we have to evacuate the refuges?

Offline FORRIE

HTM05-01 refuges and IRMP
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 11:12:43 AM »
Not only should HTM 05-1 Managing healthcare fire safety regarding evacuation but also the new Healthcare Premises Guide, page 75 refers in minor detail to staircase evacuation. It also states that your fire evacuation strategy should not rely on the fire and rescue service rescuing people waiting in a refuge. There is generally a minimim number of two staff containing up to 30 bedded patients. the refuge should be large enough to hold all disabled persons requiring rescue. Taking all into account there are many problems to overcome, size and location and protection of the refuge area, limited number of staff for rescue purposes, adequate training and numbers in evacuation procedures [ do not use use patients], IRMP of your local fire service to be confirmed. The fire service do not regularly practice rescues from hospitals unless invited by the healthcare authority or requested by the fire service. e-mail me if I can help you.