Author Topic: Private company firefighting training  (Read 8055 times)

Private company firefighting training
« on: April 09, 2004, 07:34:22 PM »
Does anyone else working for private companies,have difficulty gaining adequate training?

Until recently,our company (babcocks) have dragged their heels over supplying adquate refresher courses.At least 80% of out fire crews are well out of date with regard to refresher courses.Ive had 2 cancelled so far with the weakest of excuses.The last one apparently was down to an admin cock up at Manston and enough people we're on the course.
Now call me flippant,but if the training school doesnt know how many people are due courses and sufficient numbers arent allocated,then maybe a change of admin staff is in  order .

Im an ex DFS firefighter so I know how the system works and it seems like private companies couldnt organise a good piss up in a brewery.

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 03:35:54 PM »
I am interested to know what equipment you have, for example do you use BA, and if so, how often do you train with it?

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 11:08:16 AM »
You may be interested to know that Manston recently "lost" all records relating to FFs in their computer files.
Apparently backing up data is a concept alien to the planet Thanet.
If you get a form to fill in asking YOU to tell THEM what courses you have done, just select the courses that you would have like to have done, and hey presto, the records will be "updated" accordingly, or not...

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 06:52:56 PM »
We have the same equipment as local authority.With regard to BA,we have a wear at least once a month.The point of fact is that refresher courses are done every four years.At present most of us are either 2 or more years out of date.I personally am out of date  by 2 years 7 months.One thing when your sent on a course and whinge about it,totqally different thing when we keep badgering for courses and get nowhere.Moral is,private companies running fire service operations are like any other company...MAKING MONEY...NOT SPENDING MONEY ON COURSES.

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 09:14:37 PM »
[/b]SHAGGY[/b]

Do you use guidelines within your workplace, and if you do, have you anywhere to secure them to?

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 08:21:50 PM »
I am a DFS firefighter currently 2 years overdue a refresher course.

Not complaining I ***king hate Manston.

All courses are late apparently due to OP FRESCO, don't tell them it was 2 years ago...

Probably put the mockers on myself now and will be dragged kicking and screaming to planet thanet anytime now.