Author Topic: Fire safety signs.  (Read 6709 times)

Offline SeaBass

Fire safety signs.
« on: May 04, 2004, 10:46:51 PM »
Does anyone know of any guidance on dimensions and viewing distances for fire safety signs? I know that Jaylite issue guidance for their products, but was wondering if this is based on any scientific data or recognised guidelines or codes.

Offline Ian Currie

Fire safety signs.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 12:34:40 PM »
Judy
BS 5499 part 4, 2000, Code of Practice for escape route signing, has guidance about sizes and viewing distances although it does not say where it derived the data it uses. I would guess Jaylite lifted theirs from this source .

Offline ian 2243

Fire safety signs.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 02:35:46 PM »
Health & Safety (Signs & Signals) Regulations 1996.

Ian

Offline logan_lewis

Fire safety signs.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 01:13:08 PM »
BSI are considering a new code of practice to complement 5499, giving guidance on placing of exit signs.

Fire safety signs.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 03:21:07 PM »
BSI are producing a new guide.....why? Nobody understands all the myriad other guides yet!

Offline logan_lewis

Fire safety signs.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 03:29:09 PM »
May be a guide to using the guides is needed!

Offline Jim Creak

• http://www.means-of-escape.com
Fire safety signs.
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 08:13:01 AM »
Just to set the record straight.. BS 5499 Part 4 is the Standard for Application use and siting of Escape Route Signs  ....A new Code of Practice BS 5499 Part 10 is proposed and consultants brief has gone out for the development of a Standard for the application use and siting of Health and Safety Signs. The Standards are required to enforce the requirements of the Health and Safety(Safety Signs and Signals) Regulations.

In respect to the original question regarding Viewing distance for escape route signs... The answer is very simple in that the test for resolving critical detail of the graphical symbol for escape is based on the standard eye test and the Snellen chart.. and as with all fire safety a 50% safety factor is then built in. A little more technical is an article written by my brother... I am not normally supportive or in favour of nepatism but he says it so simply...                                                                www.means-of-escape.com/Articles/communication/03-012-viewing.htm