Author Topic: Whats in a name?  (Read 8308 times)

Offline Ian Currie

Whats in a name?
« on: May 06, 2004, 10:37:04 AM »
Are there any conventions for using titles such as fire warden or marshall? My employer is trying to update their policy document and 'the employee having managerial responsibility for fire safety measures' is hard to fit on a lapel badge. Using 'Fire Safety Manager' apparently has status implications within local authorities which gives HR sections nervous twitches in their salary budgets.

Warden seems to me to suggest a pro-active role in the routine management whilst marshall suggests someone involved in controlling or policing an aspect of the evacuation. (Or perhaps I just watch too many cowboy films). I know some places use 'steward' for both roles.

I suspect it simply comes down to personal preference but any comments would be welcome.

Offline ian 2243

Whats in a name?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 08:17:33 AM »
Ian,
Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with Fire Marshal, as the main function of the role is fire evacuation therefore they are merely 'marshalling' people to a place of safety.
I have seen the term 'Fire Safety Co-ordinator' used, perhaps this will keep HR happy, after all they used to be 'Personnel'!
What's in name right enough!
Ian (from slightly further north!)

Whats in a name?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 08:22:19 AM »
a rose by any other name would smell as sweet!!

seriously, it may be useful, though i dont believe legally challengable, to use the titles/names referred to in the proposed NVQ's for fire safety (as opposed to the NOS i refer to in other messages)

this at least gives some sort understanding to the 'title' and offers the potential to become and demonstrate competence to a level accepted and understood by most, for our cousins up'in't'th'north or more correctly the far north? they will be SNVQ's i understand

dave bev

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
Whats in a name?
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 10:39:06 AM »
Dont leave us in suspenders Dave. What are the name listed in the NVQ?

Offline Ken Taylor

Whats in a name?
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 10:35:55 AM »
Sometimes the person in charge of arrangements when the fire (or practice) occurs is called the Fire Controller. However the term 'control' refers to the response rather than the fire!

'Warden' does seem to imply that there's more to be done than just getting the people out - particularly trying to prevent fires and ensuring the alarms, fire-fighting equipment, etc are in place and in good order.

Whats in a name?
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 10:21:40 AM »
Ian, if you are still having problems let me know. The Employmet Service have a most satisfactory list of appropriate tittles.

Whats in a name?
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 01:05:40 PM »
wee b, give me a day or so to sort out some other things which are a bit 'urgent' and i'll get back to you when ive dug out the paperwork

dave bev

Whats in a name?
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 05:16:59 PM »
B&Q call their wardens "Fire Champions" it has a certain ring about it, and also gives the owner a task to enforce.

Offline afterburner

Whats in a name?
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 09:04:57 AM »
Ian a word of caution over the term Fire Safety Manager. The term Manager seems to indicate some internal influence on how fire safety issues are addressed, before and during an event. A Manager seems to have the influence to cause others to carry out some task. This is the bit that has HR paymasters twitching. There is also the notion in subsequent enquiries that a 'manager' has a higher level of responsibility than a functionary with a 'lesser' title.
A Fire Warden usually has the task of the routine everyday checking of  fire safety provisions in their area and can be a Fire Marshal too
A Fire Marshal as has been said up above normally 'marshals' people in response to e.g. a fire alarm. however, a Fire Marshall can also be disguised as a Fire Warden.
In large outfits like yours the problem seems to be with the bit of the title that comes after the 'fire' or 'fire safety' bit .... especially 'warden' might already be a job description title.
Confused? Make up some new titles ... who will say you're wrong?