Author Topic: Mains powered plug in air fresheners  (Read 28346 times)

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Mains powered plug in air fresheners
« on: March 12, 2007, 09:30:16 PM »
Is there any history of the  plug in type of air freshener has causing fires through faults, neglect, misuse or abuse?
Anybody been to a fire caused by one of these things?

Offline jayjay

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 12:53:33 PM »
There was a lot of discussions some time ago on the web regarding fires involving air freshners, If I remember right, there was no evidence of them causing fires and tests carried out could not identify a fire risk, do a google search and something should come up.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 12:59:45 PM »
Thanks jayjay
I did the search before posting  and came up with the old story about the one incident with the glade freshener and no other concrete evidence.  I have recently produced a fire checklist for holiday accommodation for one of the agencies and before printing it they checked it with a fire brigade officer - whose  only comment was that electric air fresheners should be banned and should be included in the checklist. That was a new one on me- hence the question.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 03:43:47 PM »
I came across two articles from London FRS regarding recalls of Glade and Haze air freasheners, 1994 & 2000 may be of use

http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/fire_safety/recalls/detail.asp?id=198

http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/fire_safety/recalls/detail.asp?id=5
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline unswneil

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 07:57:01 PM »
I am in the process of writing a dissertation based around the potential for a plug-in air freshener to cause a fire.
The articles are limited although I did come across one from last year on new york paper web site;

MA, TOT HURT IN S.I. FIRE

By LORENA MONGELLI

A furious flash fire - caused by a plug-in air freshener - swept through a Staten Island home early yesterday, gravely injuring a mother and her infant son, fire marshals said.
Antoinette Jones and her 1-year-old boy, Malachi, were fighting for their lives yesterday at Staten Island University Hospital after firefighters pulled the unconscious pair from a two-story brick home on Chestnut Avenue in Rosebank at around 1 a.m., FDNY officials said.
Fire marshals determined the fire was caused by a "powered air-freshener plug-in," an FDNY spokesman said.
Jones' trembling 12-year- old daughter, Diamond, who escaped without injury, said the fire started in her second-floor bedroom.
APRIL 7 2006

NYPOST.COM
Uniformed Firefighters Association of Greater New York

If anyone knows of any more articles I would be very grateful of receipt.

I have bought some of the US plug-ins and been checking the temperature that can be obtained when used in the UK even though the voltage is different.  The US ones are designed with extra outlets so there is a plug-through facility and also night lights.

I attained a temperature of 130 degrees C within 8 minutes and it started to smoke.  The heater burnt out and the plastic melted through, mainly due to my testing it in the horizontal position.  Another I have artificially aged and it is possible to smell burning of the plastic at around 80 degrees C.
I set fire to the wick of one while attached to a fake wall.  The plastic was not ignitable and I believe the fire would have self extinguished.  The oil and gel used in these plug-ins is rather flammable.

Like everything, I believe the product to be safe when used correctly.

messy

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 08:38:59 PM »
Why not try this Arson Forum for further information n this topic. I know it is used and moderated by experienced Fire Invesigators with access to various databases and info.

http://www.iaai-uk.org.uk/ubb/toast.asp

Offline John Webb

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 05:40:13 PM »
In today's 'Daily Mail' there is a photo of a lady with the remains of an air freshener and the kitchen it was in.
It was an 'Ambi-pur' device plugged into the socket of a kitchen cooker control switch at around eye-level. It apparently melted and appears to have dropped burning fragments onto a pile of clothing. (Placed on top of the cooker hob it seems!!) and started spreading round the kitchen.  It would seem from the picture there were no adjacent wall-mounted cupboards.
A neighbour heard a smoke detector operating and alerted the owner (who was out of the house) who then called out the FRS via 999. There was no spread outside the kitchen.
The incident occurred in Chorley on Lancashire FRS's ground. They have subsequently issued a warning that these air fresheners should not be left plugged in for long periods.

The article goes on to say that S C Johnson, makers of 'Glade' fresheners, have been dogged by unsubstantiated internet claims that its brand has caused fires.

The photo shows very little of the air freshener remaining in the socket - Sara Lee, who make this particular one, have asked for the device to be returned so that 'the cause of the incident can be investigated'.
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)

Offline Redone

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 05:09:44 PM »
Thank you for your telephone call regarding Airwick Plug In. Reckitt Benckiser is committed to developing safe and effective household products, all of which are thoroughly researched, and subject to rigorous internal and independent quality and safety testing, as well as adhering to strict local, regional and global safety regulations. While never complacent, I am in no doubt that all of our air freshener products can be used safely and with confidence when used according to pack instructions. Reckitt Benckiser alone has sold well over 150 million electrical plug-inair fresheners since they were first launched in the 1990s, and they are in regular use in millions of consumers' homes around the world, with absolutely no problems. Before going on sale, all our devices are certified to show that they meet the exacting standards of their regional markets (in the UK our electrical devices conform to BS EN 335.1, BS EN 335.2.101 and BS EN 1363.1.) as well as global regulations governing the safety of electrical plug-in air fresheners (IEC standards IEC 60335-1 and IEC 60335-2-101).
In addition, to ensure that we continually provide the best possible solutions to consumers, they, as with all our products, are subject to regular ongoing efficacy and safety reviews. This includes reviewing formulation, labelling and user instructions, taking into account new technical and scientific information and consumer feedback, so that we provide the most accurate and clear information possible. I hope you can now see that there never has been, and never will be, any cause for concern, and that you can continue to use the Airwick Plug Ins with confidence.

Offline John Webb

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 07:37:43 PM »
Redone, I'm not clear about the context of your post (#8). Is this something you've had from Reckett Benckiser after you rang them up?
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)