Author Topic: Hearing aids  (Read 14282 times)

Offline Neil1808

Hearing aids
« on: April 09, 2007, 08:12:54 PM »
Hi guys
I was wondering if there are any of you out there who know of operational FF's who wear a hearing aid??
If any one has any info on operational FF's who wear hearing aids, regardless to how or when they developed their hearing loss, then it will be welcomed with open arms.
I am looking for things like...
1. What brigade?
2. Is the aid in the ear or behind the ear?
3. Do they wear BA (I assume that if they could not wear BA then they cannot be a FF)?
4. Is the aid intrinsically safe?
5. What make and model is it?
6. Was a risk assesment carried out by the Brigade?
7. Does the strap/harness on the BA mask intefere with the aid (if the aid is a behind the ear model)? if behind the ear what kind of strap/harness is used?
ETC ETC..
Hope you can help me out here guys

Offline rips

Hearing aids
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 09:34:43 PM »
Yes, Neil I know of a FF in Tyne & Wear that wears a hearing aid, with regards to your questions I do not know the answers as you would need to ask them direct. Sorry i cannot help more.
Any views I express are my own and not my employers. Still confused!

Offline Kaiser

Hearing aids
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 05:35:18 PM »
Hi Neil,
I don't know of any Ff's who wear a hearing aid but I am very interested in any findings that you discover as I may be in this position myself in a few years if my hearing continues to deteriorate at the rate it is.

Kaiser
Malo Mori Quam Foed Ari

Offline Neil1808

Hearing aids
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 06:17:55 PM »
Kaiser....ask away and i'll help if I can....feel free to email me

Offline Keith Moon

Hearing aids
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 03:11:36 PM »
You need to contact a guy called Duncan White from Somerset. As an operational WM he found he had a hearing condition; he investigated the possibility of using hearing aids (including I believe an intrinsically safe pair) which cost approx £8000. He got help from "Access to Work" who paid 80% of the cost and he got Somerset Fire Brigade to pay the rest. This was a "reasonable adjustment" under the DDA. More info on DDA & the fire service can be found on: www.drc.org.uk/employers_and_service_provider/employment/guidance_document_for_the_uk_f.aspx

Hope this helps.

Offline Neil1808

Hearing aids
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 11:13:32 PM »
Keith
Thanks for your reply, I was already aware of Duncan and his story and further the DDA, i'm glad that there are people out there who do know about this as it seem a a lot of people just think that if they have a hearing impairment that they dont have a chance within the Fire service and this is certainly not the case.
Thanks again for you reply....what i'm still looking for is operational FF's who wear hearing aids, so if you are out there or you have FF's in your brigade then please contact me