Author Topic: Bariatric Evacuation  (Read 27162 times)

Offline Clive

Bariatric Evacuation
« on: October 04, 2007, 12:04:13 PM »
Does anyone have any background info, problems found, or details of solutions with regards to the evacuation of bariatric residents/ patients, which seems to be subject not often discussed, but is a growing subject that we need to have answers for ?

Offline Dinnertime Dave

Bariatric Evacuation
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 01:39:21 PM »
You might find something here

www.dlf.org.uk/pdf/professional/Overview%20of%20Bariatric%20Management.pdf

Otherwise, use the HM government Means of Escape Guide for Disabled People Appendix 1 'the matrix' gives some considerations for mobility impaired. all very generic can`t be anymore specific sorry.

Offline Clive

Bariatric Evacuation
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 05:06:54 PM »
Thanks for that DD, looks like only you and me know about the problem ???

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
Bariatric Evacuation
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 07:15:56 PM »
go on what does bariatric mean?

Offline Fireguy1230

Bariatric Evacuation
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 07:29:18 PM »
Bariatric basically means the science for providing healthcare for obese people.

It derives from the greek terms 'baros' (heavy) and 'iatrics' (medical treatment)

Jeez, i did learn something from that lecture!!

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
Bariatric Evacuation
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 11:03:08 PM »
There you go - learn a new thing every day

I can see the problem. It gets hard to manhandle people at the best of times - if they dont fit in an evac chair thean your running out of options.

I think we need to be more honest with ourselves about res care - evacuation just dont work, its gonna have to be defend in place.

Offline Clive

Bariatric Evacuation
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 08:13:04 AM »
I agree and do think that 'we' do need to be honest with ourselves, but for us to be honest is one thing, but to get others to fund defend in place policies nationally is a major step.  The financial cost to provide that option is considerable.

Offline chris_p

Re: Bariatric Evacuation
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 11:16:22 AM »
Anyone got any updates on this subject. Bariatric patients too "baros" for evac chairs? Advice gratefully received.

Midland Retty

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 01:02:52 PM »
Hi ChrisP

Apologies somehow I missed this thread when you posted it back in October !

Bariatric evacuation is a huge problem (no pun intended) and one which is becoming an increasing issue for health authorities and care providers alike.

As you know even the ambulance service have problems in this area too.

From the healthcare professionals I have spoken to it seems that evacuation sheets or matresses are currently the most practical way to evacuate very obese punters who cant fit into any other conventional evacuation aids...even for fairly non bedridden patients

The year before Last year at the Fire Expo one evac aid company did say it was looking at manufacturing larger evac chairs - alas Ive not yet seen anything of that nature on the market!

Doesn't really answer your question unfortunately.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 01:20:03 PM by Midland Fire »

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 01:12:51 PM »
Does anyone have any background info, problems found, or details of solutions with regards to the evacuation of bariatric residents/ patients, which seems to be subject not often discussed, but is a growing subject that we need to have answers for ?
Clive
Have you a source for bariatric evacuation equipment?
I am involved with a company in England which has developed a bariatric evacuation mat.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 01:15:03 PM by nearlythere »
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Midland Retty

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 01:11:45 PM »
I am involved with a company in England which has developed a bariatric evacuation mat.

Hi NT

I know we cant favour or recommend any particular company on firenet, but are you able to post a link through for the company's website? Interested in finding out a little more about this product.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 05:09:52 PM »

Hi NT

I know we cant favour or recommend any particular company on firenet, but are you able to post a link through for the company's website? Interested in finding out a little more about this product.

Sure can MR. Will email my contact to see what the current situ is with the bariatric mat and be in touch.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 12:07:15 AM »
wee B , defend in place is a horrid term, like most things that come from America, where, incidentally defend in place has got different definitions. You would need to explain exactly what you mean by defend in place, and please please tell me you dont mean those stupid and non existent delayed evacuation bedrooms to which the even sillier CLG guide refers.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 07:51:13 AM »

Hi NT

Check your messages.