Author Topic: Security Restrictions for Fire staff  (Read 12609 times)

Offline TheCapt

Security Restrictions for Fire staff
« on: February 21, 2008, 08:02:08 AM »
Hello

Do any crews out there have difficulties in getting items such as milk,yoghurts and liquid foodstuffs onto their station.( even  baked beans)

I am aware of the DFT restrictions etc but wondered if any airports used their discretion relating to RFFS staff ?

Red Tape and over zealous security strike again.....

Comments please before we go pot noodle mad
Better Out Than In !

Offline Yeebsy

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 11:00:36 AM »
Heathrow Airport is a nightmare, It takes us on average half an hour to get through security in the morning (several times 45mins - hour) and we can't take liquids over 100ml, Tuesday was very busy and we had to bring 2 St Johns assessors in to re-validate our 'first aid at work', The guys were well peeved as it took them 3 hours to get through security. The DFT have also brought in restrictions regarding travel airside, now when we go to the fire ground for training (still airside) we have to report to a control post and go through security AGAIN just to get back to our station. So I would like to take this opportunity to thank the DFT for crippling the internal workings of the airport more than any terrorist organization in history.
Isn't it funny, how if you sit in a library and scream, everyone looks at you and tuts...but do the same thing on an aircraft and everyone joins in!

Offline Chunty

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 05:50:53 PM »
That's a farce; even the MoD aren't that hung up on it!!

Offline cm738

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 07:54:18 PM »
In the early days of these restrictions, our local authority brothers came to train on our fire rig, procedure meant that to come airside they had to be checked by security, tool boxes were fully inspected and yes all sharps were prohibitted (nightmare) they insisted that all the water bottles and flasks were removed from the appliance before being let through!! they were not worried about the 1800lts of water in the tank though!!

Offline lincoln

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 04:44:45 PM »
CM738, is it also true that the milk for your station now has to make a 4 mile journey around the outside of your airfield as security won't let it through?

Offline TheCapt

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 08:53:49 PM »
Milk AKA moonshine.....

Word has it we'll be soon running solar powered appliances and blowing out the fires on arrival. Surely we can't be trusted with water / foam / diesel. Obviously milk would be our first choice in causing chaos. It'll be fun trying to start the cutting gear / generators with no fuel.

I'll climb off my soap box now before I have to mention crew being stopped with their food because the plastic bag was 2cm over size..............................I kid you not.

Please tell me your crazy goings on before I go insane

Full unrestricted access with crb check is now not that honourable...The days of being a milk monitor when young, should perhaps of been more cherished.
Better Out Than In !

Offline cm738

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 02:15:24 AM »
Yes Lincoln,
 Our milk does take a 4 mile detour, thats if a certain deptartment remember to collect it, believe me the first brew of the day is a lot less palitable without milk!!, mind you spose our cornflakes wouldn't go soggy!!

Offline Yeebsy

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 11:04:17 AM »
We got round the milk problem, we are now supplied by an airside cafe and our hose layer picks it up each morning.
Isn't it funny, how if you sit in a library and scream, everyone looks at you and tuts...but do the same thing on an aircraft and everyone joins in!

Offline jayjay

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 12:23:33 PM »
A hose layer for milk ?
how much milk do you use ?

Offline Yeebsy

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 08:59:09 PM »
lol ;)

Offline jokar

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 09:51:05 PM »
What about the environmental impact of milk entering the water courses?

Offline Yeebsy

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 12:13:49 AM »
It's ok we are on a dirty water main anyway.

Offline BAAfiery

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 11:14:38 PM »
We recently had security wanting to confiscate a jar of relish from one of our lads until he pointed out that as it was measured in grammes it was a solid not a liquid. They eventually saw sense.
It has not been unknown for security to confiscate bottles of liquid from the cargo pilots that go through our gate even after the pilots have pointed out that if they wanted to destroy their aircraft they would just push their control columns forward! The world has gone mad!!