Author Topic: PBI Gold - great protection  (Read 6751 times)

Offline Chunty

PBI Gold - great protection
« on: July 01, 2008, 09:13:13 PM »
We've just taken receipt of our first batch of PBI Gold kit from Flame-pro, very chuffed with their professional and exacting response.

However part of the care advice includes keeping the kit out of fluorescent lighting and sunlight when not in use as apparently the UV light will destroy the outer shell; seems incredible in a kit made for fighting fires but informed advice should be taken so my question to those of you who currently use this type of fabric; how do you keep your kit ready for immediate use but protected from UV light?

I can imagine some obvious suggestions but would like to see if there are any off the wall ideas out there.

Cheers

Offline JC100

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 07:49:46 AM »
The RAF and DFS have been using PBI Gold for quite a few years now. I served twice in Iraq with the kit (both being in the summer) and never had any problems with it in sunlight. It does fade a bit though but as far i could tell there were no problems with its effectiveness.

Offline Mr. P

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 10:30:30 AM »
Doesn't it go a 'pretty pink' colour? Also when not being kept ready for standby, it all needs hanging up as keeping it continually creasing may affect it.

Offline JC100

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 11:58:52 AM »
Mine never went 'pretty pink', that would have been amusing! The most annoying thing with it was that once it got dirty, it would stay that way, no matter how much washing.

Chris Houston

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 12:09:50 PM »
Have you looked into storing it in a room with domestic (tungsten) lightbulbs or even halogen (not that I know if they give of UV or not).

Offline Chunty

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 10:40:46 PM »
I must admit that when we were advised by our MoD contact to keep it out of UV light I was surprised but checked the material manufacturers website and indeed there it is in black and white on their care and cleaning data sheet.

I hope to hell it doesn't turn pink, dirt I can live with.