Author Topic: Evacuation Chairs  (Read 13303 times)

Offline Username

Evacuation Chairs
« on: July 08, 2008, 08:32:05 AM »
First post so please be gentle!

We are looking at various suppliers for evacuation chairs to be used in a total evacuation to a place of safety scenario, ie taking people downstairs - our first stage is progressive horizontal evacuation.

Has anyone any advice about these types of chair? Anything we specifically need to avoid etc etc.

I'd also be interested in any comments regarding transfer into/out of the chairs, given they are only to be used in an emergency situation, are we allowed any leeway regarding handling/lifting?

Offline jokar

Evacuation Chairs
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 02:25:19 PM »
PEEP's first.  Many people will not want to be transferred from their chair to a evac chair.  There are training and Manual Handling problems to overcome with the use of Evac Chairs.  The main thing is though when you have more than one wheelchair user, what do you do when you get the first transferree outside?  (Dump them on the floor and go and get another)

Offline Username

Evacuation Chairs
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 03:23:18 PM »
Thanks jokar, but are we required to do an individual PEEP for each resident?

We are a residential care home for the elderly, ground floor plus one, with approx 35 residents on first floor. As can be imagined, residents represent the full range of mobility/ability, though most are to the lower end. For a total evacuation we are assuming a worst case scenario with all residents imobile, therefore transfer from room using wheel chair, down stairs with evac chair, and then yes we need to improve on the "dump" technique.

I'm new to this industry, so any advice gratefully received, what do other homes do etc etc.

Cheers

Offline jokar

Evacuation Chairs
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 04:43:17 PM »
A good fire safety answer is it depends.  Disabled persons need to have individual PEEP's but the aged not so.  With PHE, your evac strategy is sound and the expectation would be that any fire would be extinguished prior to a vertical or outside movement, although quite correctly as you have identified you need to have a plan for full evacuation.  Have a look at the means of escape for the disabled document on the CLG website, it is a free download.  You have to go to fire and resilience and then to new legislation guidance.

Offline John Webb

Evacuation Chairs
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 10:53:13 AM »
There was considerable discussion on the Forum about the use of evac chairs over a year or more ago - a search should turn this up and may be of use to you.
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)

Davo

Evacuation Chairs
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 12:48:18 PM »
Username

Avoid Evac Chair brand, can't be used outside.
Try Medirite, a subsiduary of Posturite.
They have wheels on and can be used outside, will also climb stairs due the the wheels being a three stair climber sort
The person sits up better too

dave

Offline Username

Evacuation Chairs
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 02:34:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice folks. Would seem as though evac chair isn't the cure-all after all.

Reading through all the previous posts on care home evacuations we seem solid with PHE but obviously need to do more work on total evac: consider the use of/ upgrading of lifts; have a variety of vertical escape options; training; and develop PEEP's!

Oh well, there go my summer hol's!

Offline Roy Grogan

Evacuation Chairs
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 12:52:37 PM »
Consider St John Ambulance Supplies - they have a really useful bit of kit that can be used for upwards or downwards travel and whenat the assembly point chair can be used as a wheelchair on the level.  They produce a dvd that is worth viewing.

St John Ambulance Supplies PO Box 707B
Friend Street
LONDON EC1V 7NE

Roy Grogan
Fire Officer
Kettering General Hospital NHS Trust

roy.grogan@kgh.nhs.uk

Clevelandfire

Evacuation Chairs
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 06:07:53 PM »
I'm afraid there are too many "it depends " answers being banded about just ;ately with regard to total evacuation of less abled people.

Fire Inspectors, Fire Risk Assessors and other safety professionals often say evac chairs are no good. But cant offer alternative suggestions. So what are the alternatives?

Yes some people may not want to transer into an evac chair and thats fair enough. But where no other credible alternative exists then its tough. I wouldn't say to a firefighter - sorry i dont do ladders please rescue me from my bedroom someway else.

Evac mats and matresses or sleds are an alternative. Have not seen the St Johns Ambulance kit - but will investigate it further. Manual handling is an issue yes but how else do you suggest to get a bed ridden resident out of bed who cant walk or support themselves.

Its time we realised that "just risk assess it " or " it depends " or "manual handling issues you cant do that" aren't helping people in "username's" situation.

Perhaps we should supply bed ridden residents with extinguishers and let them deal with it themselves as some of you hinted at in another topic which got closed.

Offline kevhowitt

Evacuation Chairs
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 07:14:06 PM »
Hi,
We have solved the problem of how to safely, virticaly evacuate immobile patients.
Evac-Sled will sit under any articulating bed when in normal use, when it has to be used to evacuate, it simply "locks" to become a rigid stretcher.

We have a short demo video if you would like to see it working?

Best Regards,
Kevin

Midland Retty

Evacuation Chairs
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 12:15:45 PM »
Hi Kevin

I would grateful to see the video you have produced.

Would I be correct in thinking it is to big to email?